Feature request: Add to My Day (Tomorrow)

Iron Contributor

I love the Add to My Day feature. I love that it disappears when the day is done. It's fantastic. But it only works for that day. I believe there is evidence that setting up a daily list the night before is more effective for productivity.

I would like to request a feature for Microsoft To Do:  Add to My Day (Tomorrow). This would be just like Add to My Day, except that the item would appear as already added to my day when tomorrow arrives. That's it. 

This is different from setting a due date of tomorrow. It's just putting it on tomorrow's My Day list. It may or not be due, but it's on the list.

68 Replies

This is a GREAT idea!  I would really like to see this feature added as well.

@gtuckerkellogg Absolutely it would be a great enhancement. I don't want to really plan 2days, just as many commenter here the next day at the end of the day.

So much, that for a workaround, I installed an instance to a device, where I changed my timezone 6 hours ahead. On that device I can plan my next day after 6 pm :)

@fidvader what a clever idea! So you have like a second mobile phone where you changed the timezone, working with todo app and still see all items on your main device at the correct local time?

Completely agree. Great program I use it a lot. But can't make a My Day list for the next day. Once midnight strikes it disappears. It would be great to be able to add things the day before so you can add things throughout the whole day.
One thing I found that works is put it on the list and make it repeat and it will show the next day.
Much needed feature! Would vastly improve productivity as you can start your workday "hitting the ground running" vs. having to pause to set up your list. This would also help any roll-over tasks: if you know you can't get to something on your list today, but you want to tackle it tomorrow.
Yes please!
YES! Please!

@gtuckerkellogg 

Yes, this would be a nice feature!

I fixed it for now with Microsoft Power Automate (web-version) in four easy steps:

1. A trigger for new ToDos in my list "Tomorrow"

2. Get a future time (now+24h) to get date of tomorrow

3. Select the current ToDo

4. Update the selected ToDo-task with due date

This make all new ToDos added in list "Tomorrow" automaticly (in a minute or two) get the date of the next day, and the move to ToDay the next day.

In Swedish the 4 steps looks like this (listname in swedish is "I morgon"): 

ehrenberg155_0-1671365476846.png

Very good idea!!!
How is this still not a feature? On the way home, my mind is racing and I instead of being able to write it down and starting the day confident. I end up with random notes, mails to self and other nonsense.

@gtuckerkellogg - 

Perhaps they have accomodated this request a different way.  I noticed that now, tasks with a future due date show up in My Day automatically.  Therefore if you want a task to show up "tomorrow", just update the due date for tomorrow and it will show up in My Day.  

I'd say it is not the same as being able to add something to My "Tomorrow" Day, but it is a step.

I came here to say exactly the same. My Day Tomorrow would be a perfect feature.

@RyanW-  You are right. This seems to be a recent change. It did not work like that before.

@gtuckerkellogg if this satisfies, maybe mark it as answer...and MS should update the wishlist... it would make several people happy.   

No, it is not the solution. AND, almost worse, it only works on iOS platform. So if you look on your phone you see a different Today list then if you look in the web. Maybe this is just slow to rollout, but it should fully roll out to all platforms to not have this inconsistent behavior.

But automatically adding things with a Due Date is not the same as a Tomorrow List. (or for the Today List not to be wiped clean every day)

Maybe my use case will define the request a little better:

I manage a large number of expediting oriented tasks every day. As the day progresses, I have 20-40 tasks I need to address and roll-over for completion the very next day. At the end the day, I would like to prioritize my "Tomorrow" while the information is still fresh, so I can jump right into work the next day, and not have to completely rehash my entire list. I realize that I could just go in and click on all 30 items, and set a date to tomorrows date, but that requires multiple clicks upon clicks to do this. It is EXTREMELY tedious with a large number of tasks.  

Unfortunately, 95% of my job focuses on expediting "Today" and "Tomorrow" tasks. I would like a feature similar to the "Next Week" feature, just for "Tomorrow", or even "Next Day". This would allow the tool to work for me, rather than having to work for the tool. I personally think, the Tomorrow feature is way more useful for a task list than "Next Week". Next Week is designed to ignore a task until a later date, whereas Tomorrow (and My Day) is used to plan and execute your next work session.

As @Rob O'Keefe stated, not clearing the My Day list would also be a good starting point, although this could be an optional setting to maintain backwards compatibility. Having date specific tasks show up on "my day" is a nice feature that I will use, but only applies for longer term tasks/projects with due dates outside of "Next Week". 

I hope this helps clarify a MyDay / Tomorrow use-case. 

I also agree it is nice to have the To Do with due date set to today added automatically to My Day. I started to use it for To Do items for which I did not have a due date, set the due date to tomorrow the day before and the next morning they show in My Day.

BUT this does not satisfy the request here, at least not all use cases, as when a specific due date is set to the future, I may still want to tackle the task before and not alter the due date. So back to having to add that task to My Day in the morning.

Another idea, now that To Do items are added to My Day when the due date is today, why not also consider adding the To Do items to My Day when a reminder is set to today? Could be optional/configurable, if deemed necessary.
Absolutely agree. Every manager plans his day no later than the night before. No one plans their day over morning coffee. This app is pretty good today. But it would be really excellent only with the function "My tomorrow" and "My day after tomorrow". From a programmer's point of view, I don't see a real problem with this. Nothing replaces these functions.

@ehrenberg155 Thankyou
I will try to find a way to make it work for me. I will see if I can get the flow to work with planner tasks also.

It is sad that still no word from MS of this request. If only we could forward plan like we could with the old SP Task Lists. If Only we could have some time metrics.... it would reduce a lot of stress about the globe.