SOLVED

Word Docs not Opening in Teams Edit Page

Copper Contributor

I have a user that is struggling to edit word docs in the Teams Edit page and I cannot work out why. 

The word documents (.docx) are saved in the team channel SharePoint folder and can be viewed (read-only) as a Teams page. When she clicks to edit in Teams it opens the word doc but then closes and just displays the  Word 'W' Icon, very occasionally it returns an errorsaying the headers are too long (logging out and back in fixes that). 

When she opens in a webpage (Word Web app) or in Desktop App it works correctly, she can also open directly from SharePoint and Desktop App directly without issue. I've added the usual url's to her trusted sites etc. and checked she's up to date on versions of Windows and Office 365 but can't think of what else to try. The same files and app versions are being used by the rest of her team that have the same setup/permissions.

Has anyone else had similar issues or have any ideas to try? 

Many thanks

12 Replies

@AndyRathDid you find a solve for this as we seeing this a lot across now.

@Neiluk 

Hi Neil, no not really, it definitely seemed to appear like an authentication issue though. Signing out and then back in to Teams was fixing it briefly. I left it (and some workarounds) with the users, having  checked back with them for you they've said it persisted for a few days and then seemed to fix itself. So I'm wondering if there are some cached credentials somewhere that might be the cause. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Wondering whether anyone found a solution to this. I'm facing the same problem. Logging out and in doesn't help. 

@topheeSame issue here. Any user can create a new docx in teams, can edit while creating but once saved the user is not able to edit the same docx in teams again.

@mordo Is this issue fixed? Seems like it is not working for me either.

@AndyRath Same problem here. I'm on a Mac. When selecting 'edit in teams' it gives me the read-only file. When creating a new Word doc, i CAN edit in teams, but not after. However, the collaboration function works on my excel file. It seems like an odd problem to have. Solutions? 

@AndyRath Hello 

I have the same the same problem, did you fix it?

@FernandoCoelho

J'ai exactement le même problème !    Depuis aujourd'hui.

Petite précision, je viens juste de ré-imager entièrement mon poste et ré-installer la dernière version de O365: Office, Teams, OneNotes

Avant de faire cette remasterisation de poste, je pouvais modifier des documents de Teams avec l'appli locale (Word en l'occurence).

C'est devenu impossible avec Word seulement ????  avec PowerPoint, Excel, ça marche ????? 

J'utilise Teams  1.3.00.19173   et Word  16.0.12527.20880

@Simon33

Complément d'infos:   

Open in Word online et open in Teams fonctionne 

Seul le Open in Word ne marche pas. 

Word parvient à ouvrir un doc mémorisé sur OneDrive ou localement sur le PC 

@Simon33 

Une deconnexion et reconnexion de Teams ne résoud pas ...

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Simon33 @FernandoCoelho 

Editing word is temporarily disabled in Teams for Edu users. 

You can get more information or keep track of this change in the message center:

To open the Message center, first, make sure that you have selected the Try the new admin center toggle on the admin center Home page, and then go to Health > Message center to check the post (MC 207443).

Meanwhile, only the Office 365 Education license is affected by this change, if you are working with a different license but still have the same issue please let us know

After some weeks,  after some Windows and Office updates, problem has desapeared ...   I cannot explain How and Why ...

Teams version: 

You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.26064 (64-bit). It was last updated on 10/10/20.

Word version:

MS Word Office 365 MSO (16.0.12527.21096) 64 bits

@Simon33 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Simon33 @FernandoCoelho 

Editing word is temporarily disabled in Teams for Edu users. 

You can get more information or keep track of this change in the message center:

To open the Message center, first, make sure that you have selected the Try the new admin center toggle on the admin center Home page, and then go to Health > Message center to check the post (MC 207443).

Meanwhile, only the Office 365 Education license is affected by this change, if you are working with a different license but still have the same issue please let us know

View solution in original post