SOLVED

Why teams uses the main documents library?

Brass Contributor

When I add a team to an existing modern SharePoint site, Microsoft Teams puts its documents in the main documents library.

But sometimes users already have documents in there or even worked with different views + metadata. 

In this case its very confusing, because suddenly for each teams channel a folder with the file contents is created. This mixes up the SharePoint and Teams-files.

Does this behaviour have a good reson? I would expect a new document library called "Teams channels" or so and add it to the left navigation.

However, this is even how I do it, if users create new teams. 

They get a document library for teams and another one where they can collaborate on their SharePoint Teamsite. Or is it not recommended to work on files in Teams and in SharePoint?
What I do not understand is, why that is not the default behaviour? Are there any best practices?

4 Replies
This is just how it was designed! Teams creates a new Team site when a team is created and by another old design is a default library!!Whether you are working in Sharepoint or Teams, you are working and collaborating on the same files anyway most often. Teams also works with viewing views and metadata now, and if you have other libraries you can add them as a SharePoint tab as well

Adam
okay - thanks. Then its probably not a best practice to add teams to existing modern sites, but if a team is needed create a whole new site...
best response confirmed by David_Elsner (Brass Contributor)
Solution
You can still use SharePoint for all the document management and use Teams everything else if the files tabs in Teams isn’t enough! Setting up a new Team for the group creates an additional Teamsite which makes them now have yet another place to put documents in. This can create confusion and having them mistakenly put documents in different locations.

@adam deltinger If I add a new team to an existing group, the existing team site is used. There is no new teamsite. Or do you mean if I add a team to a group that already has another team? 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David_Elsner (Brass Contributor)
Solution
You can still use SharePoint for all the document management and use Teams everything else if the files tabs in Teams isn’t enough! Setting up a new Team for the group creates an additional Teamsite which makes them now have yet another place to put documents in. This can create confusion and having them mistakenly put documents in different locations.

View solution in original post