SOLVED

Why someone cannot see/chat after leaving the meeting?

Copper Contributor

Hi folks,

My company has some vendors. I setup the Teams meetings with all of them. They all called in using their company domain emails. After the call ends, one of the vendor always got kicked out and it displays the message saying [Name] no longer has access to the chat. However, other users from other vendors still remain in the chat and can communicate. 

The settings from that vendor company is as attachment. And I confirmed they use their company email, not a personal email or join as Guest.

Does anyone know what the issue is?

32 Replies
Sorry to hear that. Is this happening for all users scheduling in your org? What meeting option setting for chat is set when scheduling? (enabled, in-meeting only).

If you're an admin you should open up a support ticket with the official support. Please update the conversation when they reply.

Do note that it's still rolling out. Could be related to that.
Apparently external users tend to join when they are logged into their own organization's Teams. Even though the email is same, their identity is not.
People that are in an exchange group, where the group as a whole is invited to the meeting also cannot access chat messages posted after they have left, while they actually were invited. That seems like an unforeseen side effect (or bug) of the change. Like for forwarded invites (non recurring), they should have full access.
Hello Therese - can you share the link to the discussion on that site please? Tried searching and can't locate it. This is a huge issue - the comments here a just a tiny tip of a large iceberg. We have spent quite a lot of time trying to work out what the heck is going on with this issue.
And how was the meeting chat setting being configured for this meeting?
Well something is awry here, as this new feature is having some unintended consequenses. Here is what happened to us today. Our admin had a group of 70 on an outlook teams appointment and had added them using an office365 group a few months ago. We have been using the meeting chat for months. Today she add a conference room to that appointment from outlook. Once she did that it took everyone's right's away to the meeting chat. When joining the meeting they were then added as temporary users, and once everyone left the meeting, they could no longer add to the chat. I am assuming this is some bug. The workaround fix was to manually add users one my one, rather than using the group. Deleting and re-adding the group to the appointment didn't change the access to the chat.
We have the same frustrating experience, and it seems that there is no workaround other than the crazy manual waste which wasn't necessary before this feature was introduced. Does anybody know how to report this as a new bug?
There is nothing worse than finding out a new bug you’ve found in the software is being referred to as a new “feature” by the company that intentionally added it. All that I think we need/want is a toggle somewhere, even at the admin level, that can disable this new behaviour.
The behavior described by NBS42 is what I'm seeing as well. People included in the original/initial meeting invitation (Done through Outlook as well), can not see or add to the chat for a meeting unless the meeting is in progress.
@ChristianJBergstrom The launched change does not appear to affect outside participants who connect through a browser to Teams as a "guest" to the network. E.g. a gmail participant is sent the invite, clicks on the link and is brought to a guest teams login for the corporate account and uses their credentials to connect.   The invited participant can connect to the meeting while the meeting is active, however after the meeting completes (including recursive meetings) only individuals in our organization (non guests) are able to continue to see and use the meeting chat.  Those participants whom connected from outside networks via the browser to our corporate teams site are unable to access the meeting chat, although they can still utilize the corporate teams application via the browser to communicate with other individuals within the system. They can "rejoin" the meeting to enter "temporarily join the chat" again afterwards but it ties up their machine as "in a meeting".

I should note that these individuals can access some older recursive meeting chats without this issue.

I just ran into the same problem, basically.

It is as simple as having had a call with someone that put extra contact information into the chat.
After the call I was no longer able to access the chat and copy that information.
Not even by rejoining the call. I didn't see any other options to do so.
I was in the call as a guest user by an invitation link. Which is the most common way.

Complicating the situation even more. I had the conversation on my phone. I was briefly able to access the chat afterwards (I don't recall how), but that got lost when the application went to the background. I also tried to do the same thing on my PC, to no avail.

Very annoying.

I just want to be able to reopen the chat afterwards. For READING, not even to continue it.

So I see that this post has been made in 2021 and it's now 2023 with no real progress made towards any type of solution. Personally I don't care that I can't go back and see the content, or see the stuff other peoples wrote although I can see it being an issue as stated by others.

What I don't understand is why remove the information from history? I mean, don't we have a right to that basic information? We participate in a call, we leave a call and there is no record, no history, nothing that signifies I was in a meeting that day with x company, how long the meeting took, etc.

I think these are basic things that do not infringe on any security policies etc that companies are running. I understand policies all differ greatly, but we should be able to get a CLEAR AND ACCURATE report when we look at our call history. That is literally the one thing I just don't understand.

I was trying to look back for one of my clients to see all the different calls that we've had, the duration, etc for billing confirmation purposes and I have 0 RECORDS. I have no idea how much time I've spent in calls with said customer.

This is BY FAR the worse feature you could have rolled out with such a "basic" and "general" approach for all your users when in-fact it's very clear that all MS users are utilizing the system differently, one way or another.

Can we PLEASE enable the feature to at least see the call logs.