SOLVED

Why someone cannot see/chat after leaving the meeting?

Copper Contributor

Hi folks,

My company has some vendors. I setup the Teams meetings with all of them. They all called in using their company domain emails. After the call ends, one of the vendor always got kicked out and it displays the message saying [Name] no longer has access to the chat. However, other users from other vendors still remain in the chat and can communicate. 

The settings from that vendor company is as attachment. And I confirmed they use their company email, not a personal email or join as Guest.

Does anyone know what the issue is?

32 Replies
Hi, were all of the vendors added to the original meeting invite? Could perhaps be a behavior due to this release, if your tenant is an early bird https://www.microsoft.com/en-ww/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=68853
I was told this morning that Microsoft introduced a new deficiency on purpose that intentionally removes external users from meeting chats when a meeting ends. I'm struggling to find more information about this, including whether this "feature" can be disabled in Teams Admin.

We use the chat feature extensively during meetings. it is very frustrating that after a meeting's call portion ends, Teams now decides that the conversation should be over -- but only for external participants. This is probably done in the name of security, but it is seriously getting in the way of how we operate.
Well, look above. I even linked to the roadmap id. Just add them to the original invite not using only the meeting link.
Yes. I read that:

"Microsoft Teams: Update to meeting participant's access to meeting chat

People added to a meeting via a meeting link and were not added to the original meeting invite will no longer have access to chats, files, notes, and other meeting content after the meeting ends. They will continue to have access to meeting assets during the meeting but lose access once the meeting ends.

Feature ID: 68853
Added to Roadmap: 11/4/2020
Last Modified: 4/30/2021
Tags: General Availability, Microsoft Teams, Worldwide (Standard Multi-Tenant)"

It doesn't apply to my problem. I scheduled a meeting for this past Friday that included an external user on the original meeting invitation (Teams Meeting scheduled from within Outlook). As soon as the call portion of the meeting ended, he was removed from the meeting chat. Meanwhile, an internal user who was not on the original invitation, that we added to the call in progress, stayed on the meeting chat and contributed to it.

This is either not a good feature or it's not working as described above. Either way, the behavior of the software now makes it harder to communicate with stakeholders.
Have you even confirmed that it has actually been rolled out in your tenant with a test meeting? Your issue with that one external could be something else. Set up a meeting, copy and send only the link to a user outside of the original invite and verify the non-access when it ends.

I posted here because I've been experiencing symptoms very similar to those of the original poster. I just know this hasn't always been a problem and now it is. I checked the meeting chat history for one of my recurring meetings, and it appears the problem began on 3/30/21. Does that coincide with an early deployment of 68853? I don't know.

I would like to see more information about this new functionality than what Microsoft posted in the link you shared, including how to disable this "feature".

Just set up a new meeting and verify. If it hasn’t been rolled out in your tenant the user only using a link will still access the content, incl. chat. For the record the feature has been highly requested to prevent non-endning access to the meeting chat for everyone. Hence why you only add those that should have countinued access to the chat to the meeting invite. I haven’t heard a thing about disabling this.
As an educator I rely on publishing the link for my classes, rather than manually adding over a hundred students, multiple times. Wasn't the "In meeting only" for chat added for exactly this reason, why disable access for all link access participants by default? Is there a way for our school's sys admins to over-ride this "feature"?
I'm with you on this. It's a badly designed "feature" that has no off switch.
I think it’s a feature request from “zoomers” that want Teams to be for meetings, and not collaboration. I think Microsoft just forgot about their education market a little, and listened to a loud complaint without checking with all the people that liked it the way it was.

@credmontgo390 Hello, sorry I have totally missed your reply due to new account. Sometimes the information in the roadmap id's aren't sufficient so one needs to try out the behavior described. You should be able to share a link anyway. It might only be this change when adding additional participants via link after the meeting has started. I haven't been able to try this out being on parental leave. But the feature is rolling out right now so give it a try when the roll-out is completed!

Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365

Yeah, “feature” is rolled out and is a major problem for for teachers’ workflow. I see that even Canvas has taken note. They have an integration to the Canvas Learning Management System that allows teachers to create a Teams meeting from within Canvas. However this new “feature” means that students will loose access to classroom chat and recordings after the class ends. Our temporary work around is to create meetings in outlook and invite every (100+) student in the class. Hopefully this is reverted, or Canvas develops a way to circumvent it.
Gonna try get some more info about the feature. I’ll update here.
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Credmontgo Hello again, finally I have access to all work related stuff and here's the official info about the roadmap id Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365

A participants access to meeting chat will be dependent on how they were invited to the meeting:

• Who can see the chat for a single meeting?
    • People who are invited to the meeting or forwarded the meeting invitation after it is scheduled have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit).
    • People who are added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting join coordinates in another way) will have access to the chat from the time they join to the time the meeting ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends.
  • Who can see the meeting chat for a recurring meeting series?
    • People who are invited to the full series have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit).
    • People who are forwarded the invite of a single occurrence of the series or added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting coordinates in another way) have access to the chat from the time they join to the time that meeting instance ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends.

Note: These changes do not impact channel meetings.

So this does mean that link sharing for educators through Canvas and other methods won’t work for creating classes anymore. Hopefully Canvas can find a way to add students to the participants list when creating Teams meetings inside of Canvas, and/or Microsoft allows a toggle to change this behaviour.
I have no idea what you're talking about to be honest (no edu experience) but you should take note about the wording here, such "after it's scheduled" and "after it starts" as that is the big difference on how access will be decided.
I will try to explain. The way I, and I think many educators were running their classes in Teams was by creating a link to a recurring Teams meeting either through the Outlook app (many education institutes still use Exchange and therefore don’t have access to the Teams calendar), or more likely through their Learning Management system integration, such as Canvas. They would then share this link on their internal course website and students would join. Since the link can be restricted to organizational participants, this effectively eliminates zoom bombing too. At least in my experience few professors are going through and adding every student to the original invite (not possible through an integration like Canvas), and students are constantly added to courses through the first few weeks as well. So this new policy presents some serious challenges.
Now of course, professors that are using the full Teams platform and creating an actual Team for their class would not have these problems, since the students would need to be either added, or join the Team directly. This would only be for instructors using the Teams meeting platform only.

Hello @Credmontgo @ChristianJBergstrom  I'm going to move this conversation to the Microsoft Teams for Education discussion site for further comment or input from the EDU team.

That's not the way the "feature" is working. I have created a recurring Teams meeting (from Outlook) and added external users to it. During the call, they have access to the chat. After the call ends, they loose access. Naturally, they don't have access to the chat before the next call in the series, until the call begins. This is very disruptive. Now, I am having to send separate communications to the external users, where I previously could post meeting minutes, agendas, and other materials in the chat and have confidence everyone on the meeting invitation was able to receive the messages. Now, that's all broken.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Credmontgo Hello again, finally I have access to all work related stuff and here's the official info about the roadmap id Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365

A participants access to meeting chat will be dependent on how they were invited to the meeting:

• Who can see the chat for a single meeting?
    • People who are invited to the meeting or forwarded the meeting invitation after it is scheduled have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit).
    • People who are added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting join coordinates in another way) will have access to the chat from the time they join to the time the meeting ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends.
  • Who can see the meeting chat for a recurring meeting series?
    • People who are invited to the full series have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit).
    • People who are forwarded the invite of a single occurrence of the series or added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting coordinates in another way) have access to the chat from the time they join to the time that meeting instance ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends.

Note: These changes do not impact channel meetings.

View solution in original post