Why does one person get added as guest only.

Brass Contributor

I've created a Team called Family. When I add my wife, she can only be a guest, but my Auntie has a dropdown (guest / member). How can I add my wife as a member?

3 Replies

Hi, sounds like you're using Teams free org. When you the very first time invite someone to a team, in the very first add member box, you get the option to add as Member or Guest (in a dropdown) and then the invite goes to the person who needs to accept it. If you select Guest you can change that to Member by going to https://portal.azure.com and the User blade. But from my experience you should just delete that account in Azure (and from the bin in Azure) and re-invite again instead, and this time as Member. The alternative being waiting for the change of User type in Azure to take effect (you'll most likely see some error messages before things have synchronized).

No I don't get that option, I have:
* Auntie [owner/member]
* Wife [guest]

LOL. It's funny when someone says go to azure portal - I don't use Azure, I'm not a system admin, or cloud developer, nothing like that. I'm just someone trying to setup Teams for group chat, so that I don't have to use zoom. Because AFAIK Microsoft have stated that Teams has replaced Skype. But it looks like it's not ready for consumer use yet.

Regarding the 'user blade' ... I assume you mean User | All Users (Preview) / Default Directory - Azure Active Directory. I'm the only user. And I would not expect my Auntie or Wife to be there, unless Azure is used under the hood for Teams and it was picking up the fact that I'd added them in a Team. Maybe that's what you're getting at? And they will eventually show up there?

PS. I incorrectly stated in the OP that my Aunties options were guest / member.

If you simply want to chat with family members you don't have to set up a Teams free organization, and create teams, as that is for businesses that don't necessarily want to use a business/enterprise subscription. Then they get an Teams org. with limited business features/functionality but can still add 500.000 members.

So you have...
-Teams for personal use, limited for personal life. (no invites, no teams)
-Teams free org. limited for business use case.
-Teams business/enterprise, full feature and functionality.

When you invite someone from Teams they're always visible in Azure under users as a guest, even if the invitation has been accepted or not.