Why are my guest meeting invitees being prompted to download Teams Desktop or the mobile app ?

Copper Contributor

Hello. I am trialling Teams Free for the purposes of a community / club meeting, many of whose members are not technically-minded. I was pleased to see that Microsoft had made available the Meetings button in Teams Free from 2nd June 2020.

However, although I can now schedule a meeting and copy the invitation link to embed into an email, my testing shows that following the links on receiving those emails takes me to a page saying the following:

"Join your meeting on Microsoft Teams. First you'll need to download the app",

followed by a button saying "Get Teams".

This seems to contradict almost everything I've read so far on Teams Free (-or Teams generally, for that matter): I thought that guests / non-Teams members could join meetings via a browser session simply by following such a link. A number of sources specifically imply that no download is needed, and certainly no Teams account should be required.

Is there something I'm doing wrong when I schedule the meeting ? 

2 Replies
Addendum to my post: I have just observed that the above seems to be a feature of the browser session on my Android device: if I follow the same link in my Gmail email from a laptop, I get the option to open via the web if it better suits ! That's great, but this might be restrictive should other guests wish to join a meeting via their non-Windows laptops or devices.

@robgochHi did you manage to resolve the issue, I have the same problem when I try and hold a meeting with someone who is connecting with a phone. Thanks!