Why are assignments only linked in the general channel and can this be fixed?

Copper Contributor

I am using MS Teams as a virtual classroom to deliver remote learning to students.  I'll try to be brief as I explain my dilemma.

I post each week's learning content in unique channels.  So, consider my first channel is called WEEK ONE.  I use TABS for specific content within the channel and provide links to tabs within my posts to students so that it works like a normal website.

The problem.  The Assignments tab only exists in the general channel.  When I create an assignment, it only posts the link to the assignment in the general channel.  I do not want the link in the general channel, I want the assignment link in WEEK ONE.  If I copy the assignment link in the general channel to WEEK ONE, it merely sends the user from that channel back to the general channel where they have to click the assignment link again.  But, I use my general channel for social posts, announcements, etc. and I do not want the assignment links there at all.  In fact, I delete them after they are posted.  So why is assignment linking fixed only to the general channel?  This is a major limitation that I cannot wrap my head around.

I am hoping this is a simple fix that Microsoft can apply.  Allow other channels to link to the Assignments tab in the general channel, please.  

3 Replies

@mikeherron  I'm replying to my own post...I promise, only two of the 95 views are mine now.

Looking at other active posts, I see a massive amount of "0 replies"...can anyone let me know, is this the wrong place to post my question?

I would think with the new MS Teams commercial running on various stations would have Microsoft a bit more active in addressing problems and user queries.  

Anyone?

Dear Mike

I love your idea of how to organize the student's learning content in weeks as channels, that would make things extremely easier for the students (and for us as teachers).
Unfortunately i'm stuck in a similar problem and i think that Teams simply doesn't have that feature.
In my case, our school chose to have just one team for every class instead of a team for each subject. This means i'm overloaded with all the assignments and infos of other teachers i don't need to know. And the kids easily forget where they saw some info just a few hours ago because everything's mixed. So i tried to use my own channel just for my subject. And as i said above, my assignments are still mixed up with every other teacher's assignments. The only workaround for me was to tag my assignments so i could find them faster. But unfortunately you can't set more than just one tag (it would have been cool to have something like Tag 1 = Week No., Tag 2 = Subject).

One thing i learned about channels is that they're mainly meant to create a group of team members, so they could work on something together. But ironically, having channel intern assignments or planning channel intern video conferences is something Microsoft hasn't thought of implementing yet....

Dear @mikeherron 

I just found this other thread: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/no-assignments-when-adding-new-channel/m-p/16...

Instead of applying what end-users need, Microsoft prefers tell us how to work. It's been going on for years like this, don't understand their priorities...