What's the difference between a Host:Global and tenant:global meeting policy

Iron Contributor

Microsoft recently announced updates to default global meeting policy configuration to change AutoAdmittedUsers to Everyone. As per the notification, change will apply to host:global policy but won't impact tenants with tenant:global tag.

Anyone know what's the difference between these two. How do we know which global policy is applicable in a tenant.

5 Replies
Hi @Gurdev Singh

Host:global is the predefined out of the box default tag provided by Microsoft.

Tenant:Global is a custom policy tag as created and assigned by the organisation

You should be able to see it in Powershell by Get-CSTeamsMeetingPolicy

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/get-csteamsmeetingpolicy?view=skype-ps

Hope that clarifies

Best, Chris

not completely clarified :) @Christopher Hoard 

While the "Global" policy is obviously available and active for users who don´t have a manually assigned policy, how can I create a tenant:global policy? I am only able to create user based policies which in turn need to be manually assigned. In case of new users in a tenant this could get lost when enabling the users.

I would expect that this tenant:global policy would overwrite the "Global" policy for all tenant users not assigned manually, but found no way to create one.

Thanks

Christian

Hi @Christan Pilz

As far as I understand it, Host:global is basically the default Global policy provided by Microsoft without any modifications. In the Teams Admin Centre this shows under Meeting Policies as

Global (Org-wide default) Custom Policy = No

Today, that policy shows Automatically admit people = Everyone in the Organisation. Microsoft's change means this policy is going to be changed to Automatically admit people = Everyone

Again, as far as I understand it tenant:global is an amended Global (Org-wide default) policy. This is where the admin in the tenant has modified that Global Default Policy either through the TAC or through Powershell.

Hope that clarifies.

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard so does it mean if we change any setting of existing 'Global (Org-wide default)' policy then it becomes the tenant default. I tried that and it still says 'Global' though i.e. no way to tell from any visible flag whether a global policy is 'tenant-default' or 'microsoft global global default'.

That's how I would interpret it.

Of course, I may be wrong here. However, upon testing there is only one global default meeting policy in the TAC. If you apply any other policy to a user it then becomes a user policy not a tenant policy - even when you clone the global policy and apply it to a user. Upon the same line of thinking the only difference between Host:global and Tenant:Global would be the modification of the Global Org Wide Default policy to be something other than what it was originally when the tenant was first deployed. The other reason I think this is the case is that you have the ability within the TAC to Reset Global Policy back to its default (this would be turning it back from tenant:global to host:global). Another reason I think this is because Microsoft would not overwrite changes you made to that if you had already previously made changes.

Like you say, whether you modify the global policy or not, it probably just shows Global when running Get-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy before or after making changes to the Global (Org Wide Default) not specifying between host:global and tenant:global. I would say if you want 100% clarification on this from Microsoft to raise a ticket with support where you should get confirmation on it.

Hope that helps!

Best, Chris