SOLVED

What license type(s) does this Org-Wide setting refer to?

Steel Contributor

Trying to track down a bizarre issue on the Android mobile Teams app.

What license type(s) does the choice of "Other" in this setting refer to? We're seeing some nonsensical OneNote Edu apps show up suddenly in the overflow app drawer of clients on Android and have no idea why or where they came from. (None of these orgs are EDU licensed). This is via M365 Admin Center-->Settings-->Org settings-->Microsoft Teams.

Annotation 2020-06-06 155106.png

I wouldn't be so bothered by it if it weren't for the fact that tapping on one of the OneNote Edu app icons not only doesn't bring you to anything OneNote related, but rather, it tries to start a new chat and then the whole phone locks up. 

Troubleshooting has already included clearing/resetting the app's caches/databases/settings uninstall/reinstall, of the app, etc.

Bob

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Bob Manjoney (Steel Contributor)
Solution
Hmmm,

Well, I guess - thinking of the Microsoft 365 licencing types that it could refer to

- Edu (as said)
- Non profit
- Government
- Free (Teams - may also mean the exploratory licences here)

- Business/Enterprise would refer to standard M365 SKU's
- Kiosk would refer to F1/F3

Personally, if you are a standard commercial tenant I would probably untick that option given that all ought to be covered in the top two categories and you aren't using the types of licences above. As it says you can bring it down to user level or manage licence assignment en masse via Powershell

Hope that helps to answer your question Bob

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

Thanks.

For whatever reason, this "Other" checkbox is ticked on in all of my clients' tenants (we did not check this option ourselves). Certainly doesn't seem right nor should that be the default setting if it does in fact include "Free/Exploratory" - and I'm not sure when or how it got applied.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bob Manjoney (Steel Contributor)
Solution
Hmmm,

Well, I guess - thinking of the Microsoft 365 licencing types that it could refer to

- Edu (as said)
- Non profit
- Government
- Free (Teams - may also mean the exploratory licences here)

- Business/Enterprise would refer to standard M365 SKU's
- Kiosk would refer to F1/F3

Personally, if you are a standard commercial tenant I would probably untick that option given that all ought to be covered in the top two categories and you aren't using the types of licences above. As it says you can bring it down to user level or manage licence assignment en masse via Powershell

Hope that helps to answer your question Bob

Best, Chris

View solution in original post