SOLVED

what is the reason Planner Tasks app is not available for Microsoft Teams private and shared channel

Iron Contributor

I have a Microsoft Private Teams, which contains; 2 standard channels + 1 private channel + 1 shared channel.

now for the standard channels i can create planner plan for them, as follow:-

johnjohnPeter_0-1707483273177.png

while for the private and shared channels this option is not available, as follow:-

johnjohnPeter_1-1707483301715.png

so what is the reason behind this , that we can not create planner plan for private and shared channels, even if i go to the related SharePoint site for the private and for the shared channels this option is not there as well:-

johnjohnPeter_2-1707483356103.png

any advice?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by johnjohn-Peter (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Standard channels are part of the M365 Group connected SharePoint site. Planner relies on M365 Groups to function. Private and Shared Channels spin up their own, separate, non-group-connected Sites (similar to Communication sites) that don't support Planner. As a workaround, you could create a Planner directly from the Planner app and then pin it as a tab using the 'website' tab, but I find it doesn't always load properly.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by johnjohn-Peter (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Standard channels are part of the M365 Group connected SharePoint site. Planner relies on M365 Groups to function. Private and Shared Channels spin up their own, separate, non-group-connected Sites (similar to Communication sites) that don't support Planner. As a workaround, you could create a Planner directly from the Planner app and then pin it as a tab using the 'website' tab, but I find it doesn't always load properly.

View solution in original post