What is the file sharing limit on Microsoft Teams private chat

Copper Contributor

I have managed to identified limits on the number of attachments to a message in the Microsoft Teams chat - but can't seem to find the actual file size limit for files you can attach to a message in a private chat. 

I believe there is one below 478MB as I received an error when trying to transfer that amount. 

Does anyone know a work around for this limit and whether it can be increased?

Thanks,

KL

6 Replies

@KL123 When you upload a file to a chat it actually uploads to your OneDrive and is shared with the user from there. Currently the limit for file upload to OneDrive is 15 GB but a rollout is ongoing to increase it to 100 GB.

Hi @Par Linderoth , 

Thanks for responding. Do you know if there is a different limit on the mobile app?

Thanks,

Kate

@KL123 Nothing that I am aware of but I guess it can be more sensitive to bandwidth drops if you are on 4G and move around for example.

The 15 GB and 100 GB limit applies to SharePoint Online, not sure if Teams supports it also...

@Juan Carlos González Martín Good point, could also be differences between app, browser and mobile. I haven't seen any information regarding max file size through Teams though so I have assumed that the SharePoint/OneDrive limits are the ones.

@KL123 share a link, not a file