What are the Teams presence status change timings (away / offline)?

Iron Contributor

Teams changes the status automatically if a user is away or offline. But can you help me out with the timings of these automatic changes for being away and being offline. 
I didn't find anything on the docs https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/presence-admins
Thanks

6 Replies

@Thomsch 

As far as I remember, Away is 5 minutes, Offline is when you are Offline. For example if you use the Mobile app then you are generally not offline ever.

Offline will follow after away. But when. After how many minutes?
All besides not using the mobile app continuously...

@Thomsch No it doesn't. Offline is when you are offline. That might happen if your laptop powers down after an amount of time, but that depends on your power settings.

Is there a way for the status on Microsoft teams to not show as idle when the app is in the background ?
My teammates claim that I show as away/idle despite being Actively working on the machine but teams is not in the foreground.

what we see on a PC, is that the presence state changing to away without locking or PC going to Idle. if if goes into the background, it shows away, which is technically not correct.

I’m not away I’m just doing something more meaningful than simply having Microsoft teams in the foreground on my screen …

So therefore on PC even if teams is running in the background and the computer is not locked or is active the presents should show active.

As of today, to show online, Teams has to be in the foreground

Ideally, the presence status should show as AWAY only if the PC/Mac is locked, or status is explicitly set to AWAY.

Meaning, If PC unlocked and actively using other apps in foreground, and Teams in background, status should show ONLINE and not AWAY.

I am using Teams on PC and iphone
on ios, if the app is minimized, status shows away.

currently based on the current functionality, the status falsely shows the user as away, sending misinformation.

Thanks
Noel

@noelmammen Are you in Teams Only or Islands mode with Teams? I'm pretty sure by Teams Only you will get what you are talking about. For example my Teams is open in the backgrounds showing green at the moment while I'm writing this.

Hi Steve, we do not have Skype nor do we use Teams for meetings. Our meetings are via zoom, and Teams is merely for chat and instant collaboration. I think TeamsOnly forces the Teams meeting, and we don't do that.

Is there a way to be certain of what exact configuration we're using?