SOLVED

Webinar feature not showing

Copper Contributor

Not sure if this is the right place. I cannot see the feature to start a Webinar and not sure if this is because I dont have the right subscription, or if it has not been rolled out yet or if I need to do something in Teams Admin Centre.

I recently upgraded my subscription to do Live Events so hoping I can use the feature as well. Any help would be appreciated.

32 Replies
Hello! Admin for a 100-user org here. Still not getting access to create Teams webinars. The only option we have is "New meeting". No dropdown with any additional options. I've tried enabling "Developer preview" in the options menu. I've tried signing into Teams for Web, I've signed out and back into the desktop application, I've also tried enabling "Public preview functions" indicated in this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/public-preview-doc-updates

So far nothing's working. We all have "Microsoft 365 Business Premium" version, which I assume should meet the minimum requirements for webinars?

Any suggestions how I can enable this functionality for my org? We're located in North America, if it matters.

Launch status of functionality: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ww/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=80099
You should verify the settings and also the policy assigned to your users https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/set-up-webinars

@ChristianJBergstrom 

Hello!

I assumed that any configuration changes can be made by the GUI? However I was able to follow the instructions in that thread, install the Powershell commandlet "Connect-MicrosoftTeams", and was able to verify that both default settings are correct:

Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -AllowMeetingRegistration $True

Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -AllowPrivateMeetingScheduling $True

I'm not seeing anything in the GUI about this. I already tried creating a policy to turn "Preview features" on for my test account it didn't make any difference:

Preview.png

Any suggestions?

You don't have to use "preview" as Webinars are in GA (general availability). Did you check under your Users in TAC to verify the meeting policy assigned to your users?

For more details on how to configure https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/enable-require-registration-for-everyone/m-p/...

@ChristianJBergstrom 

Hi Christian,

I have an open ticket with Microsoft Support about this issue.  We've already verified all of those settings are correct, and then some.  I've also bought and assigned an E5 license to myself as a test, and still do not have access to this functionality.

They say they're going to run some "backend diagnostics" that should (quote) "speed up propagation", and also will have a technician call me. 

Sounds great, let me know what was wrong when they reply (if other than "propagation").
I will be looking forward to your reply too.
As a trainer, I am very keen to use webinars after watching the tutorials. I expect it to just 'be there' since it is being widely advertised.
But I am also a sole trader and the technical solutions above are beyond me. I would also like to know with certainty if I need to upgrade to get that feature or not, as it is not clear on this footnote I found:

1These new capabilities will be available in Microsoft 365 E3/E5, Microsoft 365 A3/A5, and Microsoft 365 Government G3/G5 plans. Microsoft 365 Business Standard and Microsoft 365 Business Premium plans will include all the features above for up to 300 attendees. And for the rest of 2021, we are offering a promotional period where all Teams users can try the features with their existing subscription. Please visit the Microsoft 365 roadmap and Microsoft Docs for additional feature details and availability.

@maryo555 

Hi Maryo555,

Still no luck on this issue. Have been working with MS for a few days, including several remote sessions. We were able to get Webinar-dropdown functionality enabled on one machine by assigning the user an E5 license (replacing their standard Microsoft 365 Business Premium license), waiting 24 hours, logging into Teams through the web in Google Chrome (which had the feature, although Firefox and Edge did not). We then closed out of Teams, closed out of Outlook, deleted the user's appdata\roaming\microsoft\teams folder, deleted browser caches, restarted Teams, and at this point the Webinar dropdown became available in the desktop app. Eventually it became available in Teams web version inside of Firefox and Edge, as well.

We then removed the E5 license from user and reverted back to standard M365 Business Premium. The Webinar-dropdown function remained for this user for about 24 hours, but eventually went away. This is baffling, as Microsoft's own product literature states "Microsoft 365 Business Standard and Microsoft 365 Business Premium plans will include all the features above for up to 300 attendees."

While I'm still waiting to hear back from the MS reps who have been helping us, I'm beginning to lose faith. This whole product feels very "beta", and we will be extending our subscription to GoToMeeting, and looking into Zoom as an alternate platform for our webinars, until MS gets their act together.

@Msmith2021 Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the terrible experience.

@ChristianJBergstrom 

We were unable to get this resolved on our end. After days of going "back and forth" with MS support, the only way we were able to get access to the dropdown Teams Webinar function was to switch our users from "Microsoft 365 Business Premium" to E5 licenses, despite what it says in Microsoft's product literature. Of course this has many repercussions for our company, as M365 Business Premium is not an "apples to apples" product to E5, in terms of features or costs.

We are currently evaluating the E5, vs. Go-To-Meeting Webinar, vs. Zoom Webinar. Hopefully MS will fix their Teams Webinar function in the future so that it will work as advertised.

I'm not sure if everyone is aware but there is a known issue in that you have to have access to schedule live events in order to see the option to schedule a webinar. Due to the size of our organisation, we have locked down live events to a subset of people that can schedule them. We've confirmed that only those who have access to live events can see webinars which is consistent with this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/troubleshoot/meetings/issues-with-webinars

Hope it helps.

It would be great if someone from MS could comment on when this will be addressed as we're unfortunately considering whether to allow live events to everyone just so that we can get our staff access to webinars.  In an organisation with 10,000 people and only 50 concurrent sessions in Live Events, the last thing I want to risk is people playing with Live Events and an important even being the 51st whom can't start their event.

@adikat2500 

Hello. if someone can help me. It does not show us the Webinar option either. We have the following Office 365 License, and in the Teams Panel everything is activated in the Global policy, and this same policy is assigned to a user, and even so the webinar option does not appear. We have already updated the Teams client, we have already closed and logged in and it seems that it does not make any changes from the policy. What could be happening? will be the license we have? If you could help me please. Thanks a lot.

InfraDetecno_0-1642715042113.png

InfraDetecno_1-1642715246914.png

InfraDetecno_2-1642715362934.png

InfraDetecno_3-1642715458145.png

@InfraDetecno 

Hey mate,

I ended up having someone from Microsoft log on with me and we did this together. Was a bit anxious but we sorted it out there and then.

Thats my suggestion.