Webcam quality bad on Teams desktop but good on Team web

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Has anyone noticed the webcam quality in Teams desktop is bad vs Teams web? I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, but this is happening to me on the same computer with the same webcam.

14 Replies

@MK_MN There may be two possible solutions to this. You either need to clear your Teams cache which you will find if you type Run in the search bar then type %appdata%/Microsoft/Teams and click ok. This will take you to the folder with all the cached files for Teams. Close out of Teams and Outlook before emptying the folder. This will not delete anything saved in your Teams account like files and folders. This is just cached data. It tends to accrue a lot and slow things down. The next thing you can do is go to General in your Teams settings and click Disable GPU hardware acceleration the restart your Teams. This option puts less load on Microsoft Teams application and it will run smoother. 

@Johanna_Molina Thank you for the response. I tried both, same results. I attached 2 screenshots for both desktop and web Teams from the same computer and webcam. 

Teams DesktopTeams DesktopTeams WebTeams Web

@MK_MN You're welcome.
Have you tried to check video settings under device settings to make sure they're both attaching to the same webcam?Screenshot 2022-02-07 151901.png

Yup, Logitech BRIO - I even tried routing the feed through Logitech capture. I also updated the firmware on the webcam, same results.
I'm not sure they have a fix for this. It seems to be an ongoing issue although Logitech seems to be the one with the prominent problem from other asks throughout the years. I'm not sure which cameras we have but they're not Logitech and they have so far worked fine on both desktop and web with it lagging sometimes and the above fix helping the issue.

This seems to only be a partial solution to any ask although I'm not sure if all that is worth the bother and I've personally not used this OBS software.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/bad-quality-video/m-p/2684224
https://streamgeeks.us/connect-obs-and-teams/

I suppose you could try resetting the camera to factory default or changing the video quality in the camera settings.
Thank you again for looking into it. I am on a Zoom call and the video is fine. Will try another computer to see if that makes a difference.

Does anyone know how to get Microsoft's attention to look into something like this? It seems a lot of folks have the same issue. 

@MK_MN 

Same issue here, using both a Logitech Meetup and PolyR30 for testing.

In their own respective apps (I.e. Poly Lens) - quality is perfect (arguably just a local video source so perhaps not a fair test to exclude network)

In Zoom Windows App, both camera's offer pretty good quality

In MS Teams web, both camera's offer pretty good quality

In MS Teams Windows App, both provide poor video quality

Already cleared cache and am on current Oct release of MS Teams. 

Up to end of 2021, there was this site https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com, were people used to propose enhancements and others would vote. The Microsoft employees would provide feedback on progress, etc. It was really good, but it seems it is no longer working... :(

Now there is this parallel site called "Microsoft Community" but people cannot vote, only say "I have the same question"... 

Having a Tech Community & a Microsoft Community site separately.... not great.

Same issue for me on a number of devices.  We noticed it in a major way since the Poly P15 update a few days ago.  Every single one of them on an M1 Mac looks bad and on the web/facetime they look fine.  We have the same issue with the Brio cams.  Just very foggy in the app and on the web it's fine.  Very frustrating.

@letosilver 

I am still encountering this same exact issue. I have a Razr Kiyo Pro, and the video looks 10x better on the browser version of MS Teams rather than the Desktop App. Clearing the cache doesn't affect anything.

@Penguineer 

Just as an update, I later found when logging into the MS Teams app using an account from a different tenant, quality seemed substantially better. Weirdly when then logging back in with the account from the original tenant quality remained good. 

So, a bit unclear on how the local Teams app checks and downgrades quality if required, as none of the tests in the Microsoft testing portal would have indicated a problem.

One thing that was helpful was checking the resolution provided in the call|advanced|other settings as there were some occasions where screen resolution of both parties was good but it was in fact the video quality of the call being poor due to lighting conditions and not the call.  (This was not the original problem though!)

@MK_MN  I exactly the same problem with Logitech Brio. On Zoom and other meeting apps all is fine at max quality. With MS Teams and on Macbook Pro 14 M1 Pro and Logitech Brio same thing happens.

Did anyone figured out what is the problem? Surely something on Microsoft Teams side...

I am facing the same issue with MS Teams Desktop and Logitech Webcam. One thing that seems to improve the video quality is hitting the record button. It still shouldn't work just this way, but this seems to be an issue that MS can and should fix.