SOLVED

Was the Who bot discontinued?

Copper Contributor

It's not included in the current Microsoft Teams client and also not listed in the apps store.

6 Replies
Hi @exfileme,

It’s still there.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-who-to-find-info-about-people-in-teams-3250a8e7-a84d-42...

Has it been blocked by an app permission policy by your admin in the Teams admin centre? Are you in your tenant and not in another as a guest? These could be possible reasons your not seeing it

Let me know

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard  It's an entirely new team I created for my company. The bot isn't even listed in the store. Someone else mentioned that he hasn't seen it for a year. Perhaps it's not available for new accounts/installs? 

@exfileme 

It is 100% there

1.) I have just checked on a newly deployed GA tenant
2.) If it's not showing in your store at all it is very likely that your administrator has either blocked the Who app specifically in the Microsoft Teams admin centre or blocked all third party apps. See screenshot, again from a newly deployed GA tenant

Who.PNG

Can you check with your admin and confirm? I have a strong feeling this is the case and the app is blocked in your tenant

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard I'm the admin. I own the business. I don't have access to this admin panel. I assume it's because I'm using the free service.

best response confirmed by exfileme (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @exfileme

I just spun up a free tenant of Microsoft Teams with an existing outlook account and can confirm that the Who app does not appear in the free version I did a compare with a new paid version. It looks to be a limitation of the free version - the Who bot does not appear under bots whatsover and there is no /who slash command in the command bar.

Would be good if there was documentation around this! None on any MS documentation concerning who.

That is the solution - upgrade to the paid version in order to get the Who application and access to the Teams Admin Centre to manage it.

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard I found this regarding the full admin panel:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/manage-freemium

So yes without this access Microsoft Team users can't enable this bot using the free plan. Thanks for your help! I mostly needed to confirm the bot still exists and resides behind a paywall!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by exfileme (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @exfileme

I just spun up a free tenant of Microsoft Teams with an existing outlook account and can confirm that the Who app does not appear in the free version I did a compare with a new paid version. It looks to be a limitation of the free version - the Who bot does not appear under bots whatsover and there is no /who slash command in the command bar.

Would be good if there was documentation around this! None on any MS documentation concerning who.

That is the solution - upgrade to the paid version in order to get the Who application and access to the Teams Admin Centre to manage it.

Best, Chris

View solution in original post