Want participants to only share their video with the host and not the other participants

Copper Contributor

My wife is a teacher and during the lockdown is teaching from home through Teams.  Her students are reluctant to turn on their camera's as they are self conscious of everyone in the class looking at them.  However it is difficult for my wife to teach to a black screen with no visual feedback.  Is there a way that her students can only share their video with the host and not with the other participants.

3 Replies

Hi @muddy1 

It is not possible to selectively share video in a Teams Meeting. If interactivity is your objective you can use features like "Raise Hand" and apps like "Polly" to keep the class interactive.

You can use breakout rooms in Teams to divide the class meeting into smaller groups if students are comfortable with video sharing within smaller groups.

Regards,

Adil Yoosuf

I too am a teacher and need to see students but the students to not see each other.  This is critical during assessments.  I need to be able to monitor students during live synchronous quizzes/tests but I don't want them to be able to see each other (and signal answers, etc) during the assessment. 

Hi @capaulson & @muddy1,

You could try using the Teams Admin center to accomplish your requirement. Try Disabling "Allow IP Video" in Meeting Policies and apply the policy to only your students.

Regards,

Adil Yoosuf