Walkie Talkie not working on iPhone in background or when locked

Copper Contributor

I'm having an issue with Teams Walkie Talkie not working when the app is in the background or the phone is locked.  This issue is occurring on an iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 16.2.  I'm connected to a channel, and the app functions as expected when Teams is open on screen.  However, when Teams is running in the background or the iPhone is locked, audio communications from other people/devices do not come through.

Teams has full access to notifications, background app refresh, cellular data, etc.  Volume settings are correct. No other walkie talkie apps are installed that may be conflicting.  Other users continue to see this device as connected to the channel when it is locked or running in the background.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this issue.

4 Replies
Hi,

Can you test this scenario and check. If the Teams Apps is in the background do you get any teams call notification?

My thinking is IOS is killing the app in the background because of which the Walkie Talkie notifications isn't coming along. Can you test the above scenario and see if you don't receive the call Teams to Teams calls and you need to check with the background configuration for the app.

With Regards,
Satish Upadhyaya
Hi--Thanks for your support. Teams calls and other notifications still come through when Teams is in the background or the screen is locked, the issue seems to be isolated to Walkie Talkie.
We have the same problem. Is there a solution or not?

@KHE_86 This resolved at some point last spring with an update to either the Teams app or iOS. I'm sorry I don't know what actually resolved the issue.  I just tested this again running iOS 17.0.3 and Walkie Talkie is working as expected in the background.