Voicemail - "This feature is not currently available"

Steel Contributor

Getting reports from users, and I have confirmed the same in my own tenant (all Teams-Only). PSTN calls are not going to voicemail when unanswered, as they are setup to do, but instead they're getting the message,

"This feature is not currently available".

I see in the Office health center that there is a service degradation incident LY204372 but it doesn't specifically mention this behavior. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I am also at this time unable to pull session diagnostics via the admin center Users-->Call History-->Session interface. The browser just spins...without returning results.

31 Replies

I tried now in a EU tenant it voicemail worked. 

Can you call your voicemail settings from the settings menu in Teams? 

I would suggest that you report this to Microsoft Support.

@Linus Cansby Yes, voicemail settings are all accessible both from Teams and from our 3PIP phones. PowerShell for the users who are affected report that they are all properly provisioned with Voicemail, etc. Oddly, however, we today started receiving a new message in our tenant telling us that "Microsoft Teams is ready for your organization - you can begin your upgrade today" - that's a new one, since we've been a Teams-only org now for over a year. 

Looks like I'll be jumping into the tech support rabbit hole again. Thanks for checking on your end!

Bob

@Bob Manjoney This is effecting us as well.  Has been an issue for at least a week.  I have a support case open with Microsoft and so far just normal tier 1 log collection, validation that users are set correctly.  For us this seems to be primarily effecting users in the US West Coast.  Our South East US and our UK users are not effected, though Microsoft swears that this cannot be a geographic issue.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble but I'm glad I am not alone on this one.  I'm hoping maybe we can get some more attention on it.

@Casey Vanderville Thank you for confirming. This seems to have started about 4 or 5 days ago for me.  Case is opened, logs collected/delivered. I'll keep this space updated as I get more info and kindly ask that you do the same if you make any progress? Thanks again.

@Bob Manjoney I updated my support ticket with the link to this thread, and was notified that they are now also looking to see if there may be a service outage.  Fingers crossed we are onto something.

@Casey Vanderville I heard back from Tech Support that the issue has been resolved, and that it was a "Service Interruption" related to LY204372, and that I should check to confirm.

I checked, and it's still not working. (Not sure why they didn't just test one of the #'s I gave them to see for themselves). This is what's so unnerving about how support works w/Office 365. Key steps in the process seem to be missing, like, for example, "testing whether it's actually been resolved before you claim it's been resolved". I let them know a few hours ago. So far, crickets.

@Bob Manjoney I also received a similar email a few moments ago and can confirm that my issue is also not resolved.  Microsoft has been notified.

One issue I have is when the tech calls me they are able to get to my voicemail.  I presume they are using a Microsoft phone system thus in some way making it a Teams to Teams style call.  However an true outside call coming in still gets the "This feature is not currently available" message.

@Casey Vanderville yes, we're also having this issue since about last Friday. I have checked all existing calling policies are correct. I've logged a Microsoft ticket today.

@Jessica Wong I have opened a ticket number for this same problem, no responses yet.  My ticket number is 18877253.  

Thank you to those who are adding to this.  The more that open tickets the better.

I was told this morning this is being escalated to the "senior team".  Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

@Casey Vanderville  I did find something weird in my situation - my line throws the error when I call from my cell phone, but not when I call from another external number.

Since my cell phone number is the "mobile" on my user account, I wonder if that's related.

@ph_ly Interesting.  Tested and I have the same experience. @Bob Manjoney are you seeing this as well?

@Casey Vanderville I have tested this by calling from a PSTN # (landline) as well as my own personal mobile cell # (which is listed as the mobile # on my profile also) and in both cases I receive the "Feature not available" error. I haven't found any pattern whatsoever.

I do have some other issues, which are possible related, but probably not:

1) At about the same time this started happening, the tenant in question began announcing to us at the Teams Admin dashboard page that we are about to be upgraded to Teams. That's new. Especially since we upgraded to Teams-Only in late 2018.

2) Up until about an hour ago, for the past 5 days, If I were to go into the Teams admin center-->Users-->Pick a User-->Call History-->Click a specific call in an attempt to retrieve the session/media logs, the browser just sits and spins. Regardless of browser, private/incognito browsing, cache clearing. Tried from different computers, different networks, and for different users AND for a completely different tenant. Up till about an hour ago I've been unable to pull any session logs for calls. However, now that it is working, I see that for these calls that are not going to voicemail, there is a response code of "487".

@Bob Manjoney Interesting.  A little bit different than us.  We've been Teams only since early 2019, but no prompt.  However when I go into the users call history, the calls that don't go to voicemail have no record at all, while successful calls show and can be opened with no issue.

@ph_ly - Update for you: we have just done more testing and found the issue only occurs for one user (myself!), specifically when this user calls their own work number from their mobile account.

The issue for us was: If I call from my personal mobile number to my work number, it rings fine, but then the voicemail does not work and i receive the same "This feature is not currently available"  message. However, if anyone else rings my work number it goes to voicemail fine both internally and from external PSTN line. We've tested with several other users and they are not affected.

We found that with my account, my mobile number was in fact listed on my O365 Account somehow. I've since removed it, but still I can't call my own work number from my mobile number to leave a voicemail. 

We haven't yet tested another user like myself yet, as we don't have any or many users like that. This is no longer considered an issue for us and I've closed the Microsoft ticket.

Wish you well in resolving your issue.

@Jessica Wong But regardless, isn't that a bug? Shouldn't you be able to include a mobile contact phone number in your O365 profile? And if by chance someone down the road does the same thing, are they going to experience the same issue?

My fear is with MS, that once a ticket like that is closed, they chalk it up to "all's fine and dandy" and that's the last they will ever look into this obviously incorrect behavior ever again.

@Bob Manjoney  fair point. I'll see if I can push it, but if I'm truly honest, even though it is a bug, my time on this is so limited and it's really low on my priority list!

@Jessica Wong I hear ya, I get it, and have been there so many times myself. I really wasn't intending to ask you to personally do anything, but rather just pointing out a "dynamic" that I've seen play out between customer/partner and technical support at Microsoft time and time again. At the end of the day I understand that we all have business objectives to meet that surely should trump customers like you and I having to expend so much effort helping Microsoft perform testing, debugging, and analysis on their own systems.

@Jessica Wong One more data point.  As a test, I swapped my line with another user.  When calling the same number on the other persons' user account from my cell phone, I received the same error.  So I suspect it's not exactly user account specific.  Not sure what is going on, to be honest.

We are actually seeing some real weirdness with voicemails and one way audio.  Some of our accounts will answer and the person leaves a message, but nothing is recorded.   When I reproduce the problem, I can hear the greeting but hitting # or anything does nothing.  There is a user where voicemail works every time and another user where its one way audio every time.  Routing internally is the same so I don't know what's going on..other than its suspiciously timed to this outage.