Video not working when initiating a call

Copper Contributor

If I initiate a video call with a user, I cannot see their video. They can see mine, and I can see myself. If I click on another part of the app (e.g. Activity or Teams) and their video shrinks to the top left, I can see their video and/or screen if they're sharing it.

If the user calls me, I can see their video and/or screen.

Teams: 1.3.00.15561

20 Replies

Hello @pmoffe   This video has some troubleshooting suggestions:  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Can%27t+see+video+in+Teams&view=detail&mid=8A229AC9918C7C1B7281...

If this doesn't work, you can go to answers.microsoft.com for technical support.

@ThereseSolimeno thanks, but my camera works and the end user can see me. It's only when calling someone that I can't see them in the "main, big window." If I click on something else in Teams so their video goes small, I can see them. If I click back into the video window to bring them back into focus, I can't see their video again.

I see. Well, if other members of the community don't respond with troubleshooting suggestions,  I suggest answers.microsoft.com

@pmoffe, did you find a solution to this issue?  I have a user facing your exact scenario.

Hi @cdubbleu@pmoffe,

I am also getting exactly the same issue, so would be interested if you get any solutions to this.

thanks

Exact same issue here.

@cdubbleu I have not. I have the person on the other end call me instead so we can see each other. 

@pmoffe I am experiencing exactly the same thing.

When someone else initiates the call, there are zero issues.

Same systems/versions:

Same results when using the web client?
It seems that there are issues related to the Teams for Mac client.

@DirkHaex I don't know. I only use Safari and teams.microsoft.com never works right there. If it is something with the Teams app I hope it gets addressed.

I'm having the same issue. Started happening after one of the updates in April/May this year (2020). If I call someone, I never see their video, but they can see me. If the other person calls me, everything's fine. I can see all other videos in meetings with more participants.
If I set up a meeting with another person and we use that instead, everything's also fine.
This only affects direct 1-1 calls initiated from a chat.
I'm using the desktop client on Mac (both Mac OS and Teams client running latest versions).
Exact same issue. Same OS, same Teams version.
We are several to have the issue at our office.

Teams: 1.3.00.15561

Same issue

Intermittently, when I initiate a video call, I do not receive the other participants video or screen share

if I receive the call, this all works

Web client version (tested using Chrome) works fine when initiating a call

For what it's worth, I updated my client to 1.3.00.18164 today and made a video call. It worked as expected. I'll update this thread if something changes. 

Thx for the update. I did you get this latest release ? The one available for direct download from Microsoft website is stil the older 1.3.00.15561 :(

@mxoff I selected "Check for updates" in the app.

@pmoffe I tried that, but it says "We will check and install any updates while you continue to work."

I may just take a few days for the new version to propagate to all users.
Can't wait to see if it fixes this issue.

Thank you for the reporting.

@pmoffe I am also having the same problem of not being able to initiate a video call using Teams.

I can join video calls with out a problem, people can initiate a video call with me and I can join video calls without a problem. But when I try to initiate a video call, the video prompt rings and rings, but no one can answer the video call. (And yes, my Camera is connected to Teams in Preferences)

I'n on am iMac desktop/ Big Sur: macOS 11.4 (20F71) with the latest version of Teams (Microsoft Teams Version 1.4.00.16263. It was last updated on 6/26/21.)

Anyone have any insight into a possible fix for this?

Thanks in advance!

@seanbfl For the record: my issue disappeared, not sure when, some time during my summer vacation last year I guess.