Video call window layout problematic on MacOS

Copper Contributor

For some time now there has been no option to run video calls within the main window anymore. There is a separate thread on this which I really hope the developers read (and react accordingly): Calls are opening in separate window with no option to disable

Unfortunately this design decision is also quite problematic for MacOS users: the most important controls (Camera, Microphone, Share screen, Leave) are in the top right corner now. This happens to be the same part of the screen where OS notifications appear and stack up. 

People like me leave the notifications where they are until there is time to process them. With the new video call window layout now I need to either clear them (which I don't want), run video calls in a smaller window (which I don't want) or move the video call window out of the way before accessing the controls (very inconvenient).

Of course this is nothing that cannot be worked around. But it is not ergonomic at all and very inconvenient. 

IMO the best solution would be to allow users to run calls in the main window again and with this restore the old layout. I think that this is generally a good idea. While in video calls I often need to look into other chats. The way things are forced upon us now this means switching between windows which is again very confusing and inconvenient.

Please, bring back support for running calls in the main window and with it the old layout!

0 Replies