* Very slow to connect to a meeting *

Copper Contributor

This issue started roughly a few weeks ago and is only affecting a few devices.

When we try to join a Teams meeting on affected devices, it takes approximately 20-30 seconds for the meeting initial window to appear. Then when we hit Join, again another 20-30 seconds before the application responds, and the video connection is established. At this point, we are able to see and hear the joined participant. The participant, however, will not be able to hear us from the affected device but the video will be working fine, then another 20-30 seconds later the audio kicks in and everything works fine.

This behaviour has been consistent for several weeks and waiting about 2 minutes to join every meeting is quite frustrating.

What we have tried so far:

- reinstalling the O365 suite including Teams

- switching from the office LAN and firewall to a mobile hotspot to eliminate internet/edge security issues; no effect

- disabling the host anti-virus/anti-malware suite; no effect

- I am not able to identify anything relevant in Event Viewer, but if anyone has suggestions, please advise.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sincerely,

35 Replies
Hi!
So first of all, what are the devices and is there any common correlation between those devices? Sounds to me after describing that this is a device issue! Have you updated all drivers on those machines etc?

Adam

@MuqaddasB 

Me too. Brand new laptop Dell Latitude 7300 running brand new install of Windows 10

Reinstalled Microsoft Office 365, and Teams and still takes over 2 minutes at "connecting..." then the video appears and have to wait another 30 to 45 seconds for audio to kick in

Same problem with new Thinkpad X1 doing the same mitigations without effect including deleting Teams temp folder.
It seems that the problems occur on certain wifi networks but strangely enough not on my home wifi? Let me know if anyone have a solution to the problem.

@Jens_Chr for me it turned out to be a bad firmware update on my new laptop.

@joelfrenette Thanks a lot, I will look into if I can do an update of firmware

Jens

Still have the problem... very frustrating :(

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. 

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Gen 9.  

I have installed the latest BIOS and made sure all the drivers have been updated.  I have re-installed Teams, cleared app data, unchecked setting for read receipts and Disable GPU hardware acceleration,  etc etc and I am still having this issue.  

Please help.  I have to join every meeting three minutes earlier so that I can have video and audio ready by the time others join.  I am also not able to accept phone calls in time, but can answer from the mobile app.

That is exactly the same here. We are trying to get Microsoft support. Will get back if we get through.

@Jens_Chr 

I actually discovered the problem.  After performing all the steps I previously noted, the only thing I hadnt done was check every peripheral I had connected to my laptop.  So I proceeded to disconnect everything and found that Teams connected without the lag.  One at a time I started to connect all peripherals.  Eventually I reconnected my Headset.  Immediately the lagging started to occur.  Culprit found.

Hopefully this helps you also.  

Thanks. I’m using a Jabea USB speaker for my meetings. I will investigate if this is causing the lag …
Has anyone found a fix for this? We have had multiple users report this issue in the last few weeks and seems to be getting worse for all. We have tried similar fix's such as re-installs of teams and using no peripherals but this has not made a difference unfortunately. Any advice would be great.
For me the teams lag is caused by my jabra 510 speaker with newest firmware connected via USB. A jabra 510 with older firmware works fine and no Jabra as well. I have an open support case with Jabra and they are investigating the issue. ... so check/disconnect your auxiliaries.
Thanks, We use Plantronics Blackwire 3220 corded headsets here. I'll see if there is something I can do with regards to the headset.

@Jens_Chr I have the exact same problem with my jabra 710 connected in USB. I will try in bluetooth.

I've had the same issue for about 6 weeks on my 2021 Dell XSP13.  Teams takes a long time to start up the audio/video and connect, particularly on the first meeting of the day.  Also seeing unusual buffering when streaming music and videos.  Buffer and latency grow until content stops playing.  This happens across all browsers and streaming apps. Not sure if the streaming lag is related to the Teams lag, but they started at the same time, and none of this happens on my Android phone, only on the Dell Win 10 laptop. No issues with internet connectivity or bandwidth.

@msmark  it is a problem with intel drivers so there is nothing to do other than waiting ... and only use one Jabra device and not one at home and another one at work...

Jabra support may help you getting the current jabra device to work

My issue isn't with peripherals. I use the built in mic and speaker and I am having the same problems. Another issue that cropped up at the same time, and I assume is related, is that the volume control freezes on me. When I click on the speaker icon, I can adjust the volume slider once, then it freezes and takes 10 sec or so for the change to take affect and allow me to adjust the volume again. Similar thing with sound settings and the test tone, it takes about 10sec for the test tone to happen after I click the button. I have checked the sound drivers are up to date.

Hi @Jens_Chr , was it Jabra who confirmed the problem was with intel drivers? Apart from running meetings without one of these devices connected, is there any other workarounds? We have had a Microsoft ticket open for nearly 4 months now, as this effects around 50% (or more) of our users unfortunately. Thanks for updating us though!

@matthewobrien8 

I solved the problem with the Jabra/Teams on my Dell XPS 13 running WIN11 by reinstalling the following drivers available on the Dell Website.

Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_NYXRR_WIN_6.0.9228.1_A08

Realtek-USB-Audio-DCH-Driver_CCGX7_WIN_6.3.9600.2277_A19_01