very high CPU usage in Teams for linux

Copper Contributor

I have read many complaints regarding high CPU usage in Teams for linux but everytime the team member says "we can't replicate the same at our end".

Today I am posting my screenshots for high CPU usage.

1. CPU usage without teams running.

2. CPU usage with teams running.

No other apps were running in background.

RAM: 16GB

CPU : Intel core i5-8250U

First of all this time as well I am expecting something like "We can't replicate the high usage scenario on our end".

And secondly, there is no roadmap for Teams Linux, so no bugs gets fixed, no new features coming, even the basic feature of Teams which are present in windows version isn't present in Linux version and there is no timeline as to when we'll get those features.

17 Replies

@pankaj_scanit what action are you executing on Teams? Is that idle state of the client or are you on a call?

@Ricardo Havranek Garcia 
It's on idle with just Teams for Linux running in background and no other apps running.

I can always reproduce high cpu usage after any video call. I believe this has been discussed before in other discussions. So basically my workflow is exit and restart teams after every meeting.

Teams for Linux seems to have been released and abandoned.

True
Thre is no roadMap for Teams Linux

@pankaj_scanit Got this on my machine too. Running strace on the offending process and found that it was checking whether my laptop was on AC power or not 1100+ times per second. Obviously, if I wasn't on AC power, I would have to be with this kind of code.

4665  14:51:55.971870 openat(AT_FDCWD, "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor", O_RDONLY) = 70
4665  14:51:55.972121 openat(AT_FDCWD, "/sys/class/power_supply/AC/online", O_RDONLY) = 70
4665  14:51:55.972690 openat(AT_FDCWD, "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor", O_RDONLY) = 70
4665  14:51:55.973029 openat(AT_FDCWD, "/sys/class/power_supply/AC/online", O_RDONLY) = 70
4665  14:51:55.973620 openat(AT_FDCWD, "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor", O_RDONLY) = 70
4665  14:51:55.973966 openat(AT_FDCWD, "/sys/class/power_supply/AC/online", O_RDONLY) = 70

Facing the same issue here on Thinkpad T49s and Debian linux.

Checking CPU usage with "top", it shows heavy load on 

31962 root 20 0 0 0 0 I 77,8 0,0 0:16.36 kworker/0:2-kacpi_notify

Sounds like it's checking AC power on my machine as well. But I'm most of the time connected with power supply.

That way I'm not able to join a team meeting without power supply ...

br,

Alex

Exactly, if I forget to restart teams after a call, it burns CPU like crazy.

Just scale that up to the number of users, estimate the amount of wasted energy, think about climate change and start sweating even more. Irresponsible code!
Totally happening in Fedora 34. Teams must be restarted all the time. It has been in "preview" for two years almost.

Microsoft treats any of their software as a weapon in the war against linux.
The fun thing is that every time I have problems with Teams, there's someone who is trying to reach me and I make sure to let them know the situation: we should not trust MS as a vendor as we need Linux for stuff.
I am seeing similar high cpu with Teams on Ubuntu 21.04 ... I have Teams running not doing anything then suddenly it goes to 100% cpu forever ... I have had to bounce Teams when this happens every week or so for months without any fix in sight ... I wished Microsoft would better support its tooling
Glad to see this recent update, as I've had exactly the same problem. The teams was fine since the start of the pandemmic, but just within the last couple days, it will shoot up to 110% (kinda like nigel tufnel is how i picture it) completely randomly and MOST DEFINITELY during idle time. Such as, the middle of the night! I wake up in the morning and find my laptop has been screaming away for hours. So, now I shut'er down every day at the close of business, a small price to pay I guess because without teams Linux i'd be SOL for work.

@JB2112 

I gave up on the app due to the cpu issue, notifications randomly don't work, using the browser version instead.  I'll go back to the app when it's fixed.

Same here. However, in the past few weeks, it's been happening when idle and not only after a video call but at random times.

@fabiofalcisame, i'll notice when my laptop fan starts cranking.

I had never an issue before but since a couple of days the client is unusable because of this issue. Must be some server side configuration that went wrong.
Unfortunately I suppose the Teams for Linux team is rather implementing teams ads for windows 11 than a fix for this issue

There are a few Uservoice items regarding CPU usage and Linux, but they're not being voted for.  Perhaps you all can help increase the vote count.  Here's an example, but you can search for others: High CPU on Linux when Teams is idle – Welcome to UserVoice!

voted , thanks for link

@pankaj_scanit agreed! Here's my performance graph on a call with four people this morning, with nothing else running, not long after starting the computer up:

Screenshot from 2022-01-05 09-59-45.png

For reference, it's a Lenovo Thinkpad with OEM Ubuntu 20.04, Core i7-10510u with 16GB RAM. Was absolutely unusable during the call and it was taking 10-15 seconds for hovering to reveal the mute button.