SOLVED

using teams on my phone and pc at the same time

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

Is it possible to be on a teams call from my mobile phone using the app while sharing the screen on my pc?

From what I can tell when I have tried to do that in the past, it will try to transfer the call to my pc which I do not have a headset for.  Please let me know if this is possible

25 Replies

I have done this without issues. Sometimes when I am remote I will have Teams call to my cell phone for audio. But I still can be in front of PC and share. It connects them together. @mercxi 

@SarahFabiusso you have teams call your cell phone?  What if I am on the teams app on my cell phone

I do have app on phone, but I from my PC will join the meeting and when it asks for audio, I choose to call a number and put my cell phone in. This way I have the audio through my cell and still have full functionality of PC @mercxi 

@SarahFabius We're trying to do the same thing, so I answered a Teams call on my phone then the caller wanted to share their desktop. I could see the desktop on my phone but wanted to see it on my desktop app.

@mercxi did you find a solution to this? Besides have to do a regular call by phone whilst sharing screen, which others seem to be suggesting.
A colleague of mine says if create a meeting, it seems to work then, if that is of any use to you.
But sometimes just want to discuss something quickly, not a formal meeting. But issue does seem to be when using Teams, if someone shares a screen with you on PC, and then calls you and you answer on the phone, the shared screen on pc is gone and all re-directs to your phone instead rather than dual, and trying to view engineer drawings on a tiny phone screen is not possible. Possibly OK for those that get their mobile/cell phone paid by their organisation and can be reimbursed for making regular phone calls. 
Only option currently seems to be is to get a headset .. 

@koltregaskes-work I have this exact same issue. Joining a meeting is easy ....just have it call my cellphone and boom, shared screen appears on PC but call is through phone. But if someone calls me, it doesn't work. The app rings on my PC and phone and if I accept on the phone, I'm stuck viewing a spreadsheet on the tiny screen. MS Teams on PC has zero knowledge that I'm on the phone or that someone is sharing...why isn't there a space to click where you automatically see what your doing on the phone app?  So frustrating.  Also, that you can only view 4 people's cameras at a time.

@foxyengineer @koltregaskes-work  same issue here. One workaround I've found useful on android to make calling in-network work phones a bit easier is the use of the 'Nine' app, which saves company contacts to my phone line search.

I definitely think that having PC screenshare (no audio) + cell phone (audio) to use for a 1:1 or group chat is a key missing feature in teams

I have found that the only way to do this is to start a meeting, which you can do from the chat window after the chat is started.  Outside of that you are left with making a standard phone call and using teams to share screen.  A little inconvenient but not monumental.  It would be nicer to be able to have the audio and screen sharing split between pc and phone without starting a meeting.

@mercxi 
2020 update, using the same Microsoft account on ms teams on your laptop and mobile/tablet will allow you to share from one device and see what is being presented on the other device.
example) If you are in a work meeting and you've joined that meeting on teams with both the devices, then if somebody is presenting, both devices will show the same thing. But when you use either of the devices to present, the other device will show what is visible to others in the meeting.
Though, Mic can be operated on both the devices. I haven't checked for the camera yet.

I guess this is the feature we want, described in a different way:

When there is a teams call/meeting/event in action on any MS Teams app (Desktop, Cell Phone, Tablet, Web, whatever), the app should add the current ongoing call/meeting/event in the activity list, or to an "active calls list" to the user.

So, if the user wants to join the same event on another device, he/she can just click on "Join this event" on that device.

Do you all agree with it?

@SarahFabius How. Could you help with steps if possible ? 

I believe the main point here is that using a Teams Meetings now works, allowing me to use audio on my mobile device while viewing the screen on my computer.  The issue is when I try to do the same in a Teams Chat window or Teams Call.  I would like to have similar capabilities.  Start a chat, make it an audio call and be able to use the audio portion on my mobile device.

Why this is important to me?  I often start a chat with someone and it develops into needing to switch to audio.  I have my headset connected to my mobile device so I need to use that for the audio portion.  I can open the chat rather quickly, but don't want to lose the chat session on my computer.  Taking the time to start a meeting and having the other participants switch is cumbersome at best.

I agree that this is a critical tool.  

Webex, Zoom, etc. all easily allow the audio on an audeo-only or an audio-video meeting to be easily toggled between a mobile phone and the PC mic and speaker.  It seems that Teams only offers this option (call me or call the number) once if at all.  You cannot change your preference once the meet begins.

Please make this an option!

@shirishcin  Hi there! Looks like this problem is still not resolved so here are the steps to reproduce it, maybe it could help.

1. First, sign on both the mobile app and the PC application, using the same account.
  2. Call someone directly on the mobile app (with obviously a headset connected to the mobile)
  3. Notice that on the PC application, there is no invitation to connect you to this call, as it happens when you're on a meeting
  4. On the PC application, initiate a chat window/tab with the person you're calling. Chats work as expected (no weird behaviors, new chats on one device show up on the other one)
  5. Initiate screen share from the PC Application, using this chat tab. Bam! You're put on hold on the mobile device, and it kind of looks like you're starting a new call with that person. The PC application even starts to initiate an audio setup from the PC (which generally ends up with poor  microphone setup ect...). 
  6. To resume your call from mobile, it is generally tedious, as the new "call session" takes over the previous one, and the mobile call stays "on hold" forever.

It would indeed be a great feature to have, as some headsets (namely, the Apple Earpods) are not working well on PCs, where I get a nasty 8-bits sound quality. 

Thanks Team!

There is another major reason to be able to phone for audio.

On Mac, Teams audio introduces major echo into the meeting. This was okay till about 3 months ago but using computer mic/speakers is not an option.

Zoom and Slack audio calls work just fine - no echo. 

@mercxi agreed on this need. But I don't even want to use a mobile app. There is no point to an app that serves no other purpose than to make a phone call. Maybe for if you are on the road and have no other way to see the screen share... sure, but that is highly edge case for most of us. 

Both Functions should work...

1) Call Me

Connect to meeting on computer.

Select 'Call Me' 

Enter mobile phone # 

Meeting app calls my phone, I answer, I am connected to meeting on computer and linked with phone call, i.e. I show up in participants as 1 person (named).  

2) I Will Call In

Connect to meeting on computer.
Select 'I Will Call In'
App provides dialog with: 

- Phone number to call (it doesn't even need to be an 800 number, we all use cell phones these days and anyone doing this for business surely has infinite minutes) 

- Meeting ID (to enter when prompted. to join -that- meeting) 

- Participant ID (optional, links call to computer connection, so ppl in meeting know who is caller123) 

I call in, provide the meeting ID, and then participant ID and I am connected to meeting on computer and phone call linked and I show as 1 person in participants list (named). 

@TheKoz There is no point to an app that serves no other purpose than to make a phone call

My use case: I work from home since one year (covid, can you hear me? can we get rid of you please?)

To me, being able to use phone for a call means that, e.g. I can go to the kitchen and drink a glass of water during the call (nice, you cannot while at office!) and after a minute come back to my desktop and see the desktop shared by my collegue in the PC big screen, not the phone tiny one.

I can do this for a meeting (and I always attend meetings in this way, audio on phone, shared desktop on both phone and PC), but cannot for a call. 

I can live without it, but it it would be a nice feature to have, possibly not too hard for MS, since it's already implemented for meetings

I will add that if I want to use a "call in number", meaning that I make a phone call on my phone or call my phone, I need to have call conferencing on my plan for each user. Additional charges per user per month. So while yes I am using an app to make a phone call, I would not need to have additional charges to do so. I also don't think Teams Chat allows the use of the conference plan.
I feel that pairing a phone with your desktop mid-discussion (or camera for that matter) should be a painless task. As was mentioned above, most conferencing software allows for this. MS Teams doesn't seem to understand impromptu meetings that start on a phone or desktop phone and spread to screen or video sharing.

Major missing feature for teleconferencing software in this day and age.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@VR_user   Hello all!  I know it doesn't answer your immediate needs but it would be great if as many of you could vote on this Uservoice item as possible: MS team log on by both mobile phone and PC notebook at sametime – Welcome to UserVoice!

View solution in original post