Using Teams for Business Communications

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Maybe a long shot here, but I am looking into the potential to utilise Teams for sending business communications, specifically ones from IT, out instead of emails. This is partially to encourage the use of Teams, but also to get away from sending emails a few times a week / month with the blanket "A MESSAGE FROM IT" subject, with are typically ignored.

I did think of a Communications Team being set up, with different Channels for different departments. This can be synced up with our All Users Dyanmic Distribution List for users to check, or receive a notification if the whole Team is tagged. 

Any ideas? Have you done something similar in your business? Any help would be appreciated!

2 Replies

@TIPO365   So here are some suggestions for you!

1 - Having Organization-wide teams that can be created by Global Administrator of the tenant which will add everyone within the company as a member then you can post announcements/posts.

2 - Having a Team for the IT department which could have public membership for the whole company staff and you can post Conversations and announcements.

3 - Creating Yammers groups for Org wide open announcements and conversations

4 - if the small company then thinking of having 1 team for whole company and having private channels for each department like IT, HR, Finance, etc then all the main conversations and posts could be announced under the general channel of that Team while everyone else will visit their own private channel but by default, they have to visit the general channel.

Please select which option is best fits your requirement!

Hi @PDostiyar, thanks for your response and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I've decided to have a Communications Team set up, with channels set up for departments that frequently communicate to the business; IT, HR, Marketing, etc. The Teams can be linked to our All Users DDL, which covers any joiners and leavers to the business moving forward.

The idea will be to use the Team in conjunction with email comms, as I don't think we'll ever replace them; they're a good legal form that you can have a chunk of content in. It'll be good to extract content from the emails and use them as reminders in the respective channels to breed familiarity. For example, a piece of video training might be included in a longer comms, so a few days later, it might be good to post about it in the channel. It re-emphasises it in a more informal and social way.

To be honest, I am not overly keen on Yammer and don't think there's anything it has that our business will adopt to. I feel as though it steps on the toes of other applications in the O365 suite.