Using OneNote Dark mode in Teams

Brass Contributor

Hi All

I am using Dark mode throughout the Microsoft app universe. This includes Teams. All is good except when I open OneNote. It seems that even though I have Dark mode turned on in OneNote, when I open it in Teams it opens in Light mode. I realize I can 'Open in app' from the menu bar to work in Dark mode, but it would be nice to stay within the Teams shell to work in Class or Staff Notebooks.

Is there a work around for this? Is this something Microsoft is working on?

Thanks for your insights

Che

16 Replies

@CheWeigand 

Hello! You've posted your question in the Community Discussion space, which is intended for discussion around the Tech Community website itself, not product questions. I'm moving your question to the Microsoft Teams space - please post Microsoft Teams questions here in the future. 

@ThereseSolimeno 

Thanks for your response.

I do have Teams in Dark mode. I also have OneNote in Dark mode. Unfortunately, when I open a class or staff notebook in Teams (which is a OneNote notebook), OneNote opens in light mode, and there is no way to change it to Dark mode.

I use Chrome in Dark mode too. Since OneNote opens in the browser version first, I thought that it would open in Dark mode...No.

+1

Thats really a pitty and should be fixed! :)

I'm surprised this oversight still hasn't be fixed, it's quite annoying to have most of my applications set to dark mode, yet this remains in light mode (even though OneNote supports dark note natively!)

Came here to try and find a solution to that. It's quite annoying that it's being overlooked and misunderstood like that. I just want to give my eyes a rest and not have that big bright white in the face in the morning. @ZhenWIBI 

Still no fix for this?? @CheWeigand 

@westlakelaw I haven't been using OneNote recently, and I haven't seen any Microsoft update posted.

@CheWeigand is there a fix for this issue? 

@Him_123 

Nope. Just opened new Notebook in Teams. Some of the buttons or links are in Dark mode, but the page is white.

Che

Any update on this? Is there an open ticket on fixing this issue? All the links in this thread are either not relevant or link to nothing - User Voice.

I suppose everyone needs to upvote this - https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/001c60f2-6854-ed11-a81b-000d3a05a1b3?q=onenote+te...

Upvoted! But, I feel like Teams will miss that Idea, which is in the One Note Web forum, not the Teams forum. I created a ticket here that everyone can also upvote:
https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/85df24f9-83f4-ed11-a81c-000d3ae5b6f4
So annoying. Now they are getting rid of the Wiki app for Teams and forcing me to export to OneNote, where the dark mode does not work.

F

@AdamFeller THIS 

+1

A much needed Feature since 2020!!! PLEASE THIS!!!@CheWeigand