Users sending direct messages to shared mailbox

Copper Contributor

We have users are sending direct messages to a shared mailbox in Teams. I've checked Power Automate incase there was an obvious fix but it seems to be things like "if you are mentioned in a Team or Channel" unless I've totally missed it.

Perhaps setting up a Power Virtual Agent might be a workaround but it seems like overkill.

I was wondering how everybody else deals with this isssue?

Thanks!

5 Replies
Do you mean the users are sending e-mails to a Teams Channel and you are not being notified? What you can do is configure in the channel how do you want to receive the notifications...If you configure to receive notifications of all the activity happening in the channel, you will get notifications from every e-mail being sent to the channel

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Sorry I should've made it a bit clearer in my original message. Users are finding the shared mailbox name in Teams and sending a direct message to it, so not in a Team or Channel. Basically the direct message appear in the shared mailboxes chat icon on the side bar within Teams (hope that makes more sense). Since the people monitoring the shared mailbox cant login to Teams (are not given the credentials/shared mailbox is disabled) all these messages just sit there and dont get dealt with.

I'm surprised there isnt more people talking about this, which kinda makes me think I'm doing something wrong lol.

you mean you don't want people send message to shared mail box in Teams, right?
how about don't give Teams license to this account, then people can't find it in Teams

@f2 

Hello, have you found a solution to deal with this issue? I found that shared mailboxes do not show in the Teams Users search, even they are assigned Teams license. So I could not assign a disable chat policy to the shared mailboxes.

And I tried remove Teams license, but people could still start a chat with these mailboxes in Teams. weird.

Has anyone found a solve for this? I actually WANT all the users of a shared mailbox to be able to reply to a chat from someone. @f2