Use of Teams and Sharepoint

Copper Contributor

Having just started to use Teams I want to interface the Teams Files area with Sharepoint so that Team Members can access files saved within Sharepoint and collaborate with other members of the Team.  Currently we are not doing this and I have researched this and believe that it is possible and will not only save time for the Team as they move between Applications but will improve collaboration.

Any guidance would be appreciated so that i can provide a guide to team members.

Thank you

6 Replies
Not really sure, what you want to archive? The files tab in Teams is not enough but you want to use Sharepoint? Then click open in SharePoint from there!
Adam

Thank you for the information. I was unsure if a document accessed in Teams and changed would also be replicated in the same document that may also be accessible via Sharepoint. I believe that when a Team and Channels are created a sharepoint site is also created with files being stored in a document library. I just wanted clarification that my thought process was correct.

Regards

Phil
Yes! The files in the files tab in Teams is just a pointer to SharePoint where the documents actually are stored! So they are the one and same

Hi @Phil1701 ,

I am not a fan of the files tab for formal document management. Its too messy and inflexible(all files in one document library).

Here is what I have been recommending to customers:-

1. Create a File Plan for each team including the retention labels they want to apply per document library/folder. 

2. Build out a number of document libraries in the underlying Team site. 

3. Add those document libraries to the homepage and navigation of the Team site.

4. Add any further information to the SharePoint Team site homepage that the team  needs.

5. Add a tab to the Microsoft Team and choose the SharePoint App.

6. Add the Homepage of the SharePoint site and give the tab a name like Team Documents/Team Site etc - something that makes sense to you.

7. Tell the team this is where to access documents.

8. Put a default retention on the Document library that holds all the channel files that get dumped in there such as images and attachments. 

Not everyone agrees with this approach but creating channels for the sake of having somewhere to store files without needing the chat doesn't make sense to me. 

Many thanks i appreciate your help
Andrew
Many thanks I quite agree that having channels for the sake of it has no value especially if there is a perfectly good tested solution available via SharePoint. Thanks