Use Microsoft Teams with not migrated emails

Copper Contributor

Hi there,
i'm testing Microsoft Teams. Have changed the UPN suffix to say MYDOMAIN.COM and successfully connected and synchronized our AD.

I now see the desired users in admin center, but i got a problem. The email addresses of the users (ex. JACK@MYDOMAIN.COM) are not migrated to outlook, we use a different email provider. But now, all email notifications from Teams are sent to the Microsoft 365 internal outlook addressess (ex. JACK@MYDOMAIN.COM).
My question is: Is it possible to forward all mails from the outlook address to the external address even if they are the same (only hosted on different servers, distinguishable by the DNS entry?) or can we use Microsoft Teams without a corresponding outlook address at all.

I hope my explanation is somewhat clear.

Thanks for any help.

3 Replies

Yes, it is possible to forward email from Exchange Online (outlook) to another mailaddress.

Use rules to automatically forward messages - Outlook (microsoft.com)

But you should look into moving emails from the other provider to Exchange Online instead of using two email solutions. It will be easier for users and you will be able to benefit from some integrations. Teams uses the Exchange mailbox for storing data too and shares contact information.

@Linus Cansby 

Hi Linus,

thanks for your response.

I tried that, but this approach works only if the final domain is different. In my case the two domains (and so both email addresses) look the same. I think in this case Exchange does not forward the mail because it "thinks" the address belongs to it's own domain, rather than checking the MX-record in the DNS and send it to the external server.

At the moment i unfortunately have not yet the possibility to change the email provider.

@Arminio Then the best way for you to solve this is to add another domain on your current mail solution and forward to that domain. Or move mailboxes to Exchange Online.