Uploading Folder to SharePoint

Brass Contributor

When uploading folders to SharePoint from within MS Teams we occasionally see an error when uploading.  When this occurs there is always a file created, with no extension, which has the same name as the folder which we tried to upload.

Has anyone seen anything similar, or able to advise on what the issue is?

3 Replies

Hi @BarryAnderson ,

Is there anything unusual about the name of the folders that fail, such as special characters etc.?

If you could walk me through the steps or more the name of an example folder or at least the same name in terms of amount of words, special characters etc. and if the Folders contain any files and if so what file types etc.

Might be worth seeing if you get the same behaviour if directly uploading via SharePoint, so from within the Files tab, click on Open in SharePoint, Upload, is the same error seen? I would expect it to fail here also but worth a check.

Thanks

Henry

@HenryPhillipsNimbitech 

There is nothing unusual about the folder or files within it, no special characters and no restricted files types.  If we delete the rogue file which was created and upload the folder directly in SharePoint there is no issue.  For now this is the approach I have asked the user to take.

I did note that the user has many subfolders and wondered about the URL length limitations but the files load when using SharePoint.

@BarryAnderson 

OK, no worries.

Also if permitted within your Org as I know some are funny about OneDrive for Business, but a quick and user friendly method could be the the Doc Library to be synched and then the Folders and Files uploaded by way of the OneDrive for Business sync client and File Explorer.

Also worth a check and not sure on the volume you are uploading as to whether it is worthwhile but check out the SPMT tool, it even now has a Teams option oh and its FREE!

Thanks

Henry