Unable to start conversation from Tag

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone, hope someone might be able to shed some light on this issue.
We've had user Tags on our tenant for over a month now. I can create tags and add users to them. All users can currently @mention a tag within a channel post. The problem is that only some users are able to start a group chat based on a tag. Based on this article, we all should be able to type in a tag name in the new chat window and start a group chat with those tagged users.
The users who can start a group chat see the text "Enter name, email, group, or tag" in the new conversation window. Users who cannot start a group chat from tag see "Start typing a name or a group" in that same window. One of the affected accounts is mine. I even made account a temp global admin to rule out any odd permissions quirks. Still no dice.
Affected users are all have the exact same licenses applied and are running the same version of the local Teams app(this issue happens on local app, mobile app, and web).
I've had a support ticket open for weeks now with Microsoft with little to no actual progress made on it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue in their tenant and gotten an resolution? Thank you!

2 Replies
Got the same issue! I believe this ca. Be some current limitation due to Covid-19! I’ll dig into this some more..
Although you can start a group chat from “manage tags” go to tags and there is a button to click to start the group chat from the tag

Adam

@adam deltinger 

Thanks for confirming! We did notice the 'manage tags' function working to make a chat. Our use case for tags is entirely mobile app centered though. There isn't a way to get to that function in the mobile app. We want our users to be able to just start a group chat by typing in the tag name in the new chat window.
I've even gone so far as to try out making formatted sip hyperlinks to start a group chat like: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/chat/0/0?users=user1@domain.com,user2@domain.com
However that opens in web on mobile and not in the app
If I use msteams://teams.microsoft.com/l/chat/0/0?users=user1@domain.com,user2@domain.com instead, it works fantastic on desktop, but not at all on mobile.