Unable to Sign In to MS Teams with my outlook account

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am unable to sign in to MS Teams with my outlook account. I have tried everything from resetting the password to re-installing the application. I have already set up my MS Teams account last year but did not use it till now. I see it works fine on my mobile app but some reason it does not even let me sign up again in the web application or desktop app and shows "something has gone wrong. Please try again after sometime" error every time I try to sign in and it asks me to sign up again though i am already signed up and can use the app on my mobile using the same account vi.nayak@outlook.com.

I also used the link on my email to sign up again but the link is expired.

I then tried to signup with my another widows live account and was successful. But my primary account is the outlook one and I want to use Teams with my outlook account.

Please help!

8 Replies

@GhostMechanik Hey, try using a InPrivate browser Window (incognito) with your preferred Outlook account and see if the message persists. Go here https://teams.microsoft.com

Other troubleshooting steps is to remove the Credential Manager entries... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026814/windows-accessing-credential-manager

...and the Teams desktop client cache as well. Type %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams via Start button and hit enter. Delete all content in the Teams folder.

If on a Mac ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams

If still no luck, you might want to reach out to the official Microsoft support.

Tried everything but no luck. Can you please share how to get in touch with the official Microsoft Support. Cannot find there support email.

Here is a list of global phone numbers: @GhostMechanik or you can go to support.microsoft.com for online assistance.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

@ThereseSolimeno

Tried reaching them but no resolution and have asked me to put up my question here in the community.

Let me list my issue again..

I am able to sign in and use Teams app on my iOS phone but I am unable to sign-in to either the Teams app on my desktop or the Teams web app (I have tried everything on Chrome & Incognito mode, Edge & Private window mode, Tried reinstalling the desktop app, tried deleting the registry keys in my Setup folder). It just says that "You are not signed up to Teams" and takes me to Sign-up for free page of MS Teams!

What should I do now?

@GhostMechanik Since you are signing in with a personal Microsoft account, rather than a work or school account, you are using the Personal version of Microsoft Teams. It is currently in a "mobile preview", meaning you can only use it with the mobile app. According to this blog post, "General availability of the new features, as well as expanding features to the desktop and web versions of Teams, is expected later this year."

@Ryan Steele Ohh is it? So that means if I want to use MS Teams on my desktop/laptop, I will have to sign up with my work account/domain email?

How come then I am able to sign in with my another personal account i.e. a microsoft live id? The MS Teams works fine on my desktop with my Live account. I am not facing any issues with that.

I am sure there must be something else that is bugging my sign-in with my outlook account and unable to resolve it. :(

@GhostMechanik I'm not sure, to be honest. I assumed that it was no longer possible to sign up for Teams Free with a personal Microsoft account but I see that there is a support article indicating the opposite.

One thing to try would be following the instructions to delete your Teams free organization, and then re-creating it.

Surprisingly even after i created an account for teams online no email came to email account and error was seen on desktop app asking for registration. Worked for me on mac after 2-3 tries. the cache was causing the issue i believe.