Unable to share screen on MS Teams in Google Chrome 109.0.5414 on Ubuntu 22.10

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have not been able to share the screen (or other windows) like I used to share with MS Teams running inside Google Chrome 109.0.5414 on Ubuntu 22.10. The only thing I can share is other tabs inside Google Chrome. The same thing is happening inside Chromium 109.0.5414.

The strange thing is that Google Chrome and Chromium display the following message: "Go to Security & Privacy > Screen Recording to give permission and start sharing."

But I do not have these Security & Privacy Settings. I am not using macOS, where I know about these settings. On Linux, there are no such settings.

Are there any other options on a Linux System to set to make sharing screens possible once more? Thanks in advance.

Details:

- Ubuntu 22.10 with GNOME 43.1, Wayland

- Chromium 109.0.5414 (via snap) and Google Chrome 109.0.5414 (via dpkg/apt)

7 Replies

I have this problem. Unclear whether it is triggered by my updating yesterday (including an updated version of Chrome) or some update of the Teams web app.

Chrome: Version 109.0.5414.74 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Ubuntu Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS with GNOME 42.5, Wayland

One little update. I checked if Google Chrome runs either with XWayland or Wayland using xlsclients. It is running with XWayland when this permission bug appears.

Unfortunately, the same bug appears when starting Google Chrome with '--enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland' to enable running it with a Wayland compositor.

So this bug seems to be around with X11 and Wayland.

@tpiekarski , same here, happy to help debugging. Yours, Steffen

I'm facing the same issue.
On Ubuntu 22.10 with Wayland. Using Teams PWA with either chromium or edge (issue is for both).

I tried by setting chrome://flags/#enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer and chrome://flags/#ozone-platform-hint to "auto" ...but nothing

I also enabled sharing on Ubuntu gnome settings ....but stil nothing

Francesco
I am having this issue as well on Windows and Mac devices, even after updating Chrome to 110.0.5481.77.

I'm able to share chrome tabs, application windows and whole screens in Teams PWA in Google Chrome on Ubuntu 22.10 using Wayland since I set chrome://flags/#enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer to "Enabled" a few days ago, after I read @francesco_padovani 's reply (thanks!).

Works for me for the current Chrome 110.0.5481.77 and also worked on the previous version. Before enabling above mentioned setting I also got displayed the message "Go to Security & Privacy > Screen Recording to give permission and start sharing."

(I installed Chrome via apt)

An update:

by my side I've been able to solve the problem on Ubuntu 22.10 by installing the following packages:

sudo apt install xdg-desktop-portal xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

...and of course by keeping these 2 chrome flags settings:

--> chrome://flags/#ozone-platform-hint = Auto

--> chrome://flags/#enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer = Enabled

Now the Chrome Teams PWA is working: I can share my full screen.