SOLVED

Unable to select microphone or speaker device in Microsoft Teams (Windows 10)

Copper Contributor

Microsoft Teams is currently unable to make/receive calls due to the app being unable to set a Microphone or speaker device. 
The 'Audio Devices' profile within settings is set to 'Custom Setup' and no other option is available in the drop down (screenshot attached). 
When try to continue using the custom setup, no devices are available as the drop-downs are unclickable (screenshot attached). 

Other useful info: 

• Microsoft Teams Version: 1.2.00.24753 (64 bit). It was last updated on 22/09/2019.
  • I have uninstalled and re-installed teams. 
  • Audio devices work fine in all other applications
  • No other application is using the devices when Teams is being tested. 
57 Replies
Click start in windows and search for microphone. Should be something along mic access or something. Make sure this is turned on so apps can access your mic. I’m not at PC or I would get settings but sometimes this not being enabled will not allow device access to the mic drivers.

@Chris Webb - Checked that location - It is set to allow access. 

Make sure you scroll down that page, at the bottom is an actual section for allow desktop apps access. Make sure it's own and Teams is allowed.

@Chris Webb  - Checked both lists - Its got access. 
It also has a time/date when it was last accessed. It appears to all start working about 20mins after the application is launched, but each time the application is started, it doesn't allow me to select any devices (Microphone or Speaker). 
No settings are changed in those 20mins and the PC itself is left pretty much idle. 
I have now been able to replicate this behaviour 3 times. 
Each time the application is booted, we see the behaviour shared in the previous screen shots. About 20mins later, the dropdown menus are usable and the devices work without issue. 

Odd.... Assuming you've signed out and signed back into Teams (Not quit and start). This clears the cache. Doubt it's related, but I've seen it fix some weird stuff.
Also are you running Skype for Business alongside Teams in Islands or anything? Try Closing out the Skype client if it's still running and see if it has any effect if so. I've seen Skype have effect on Teams devices.

@Chris Webb - Not running skype or any other application that could use the microphone/speaker whilst running teams. 
I have tried logging out and back in. No joy unfortunately. 

Its a really strange issue and I've tried everything I can think of. :( 

At this point has to be drivers I would think.

@Chris Webb 

I had this same thing happen today - all of a sudden and once I turned on every possible thing in my Windows 10 microphone setting - it all worked. I will turn off other items once I get through my meetings today. No device AT ALL would connect to Teams.

What worked for me on Windows 10 was to go to the Sound Mixer Options (which seems to also be called (App Volume device preferences). This lists apps with the volume,  Output and Input Devices. Toggling the Output device from default to the specific option for my headset got this working again in the Teams app.

Hi, I got the same issue. Tried everything reinstallation delete local settings, ...
At the end following solved the issue:
1 right-click start menu
2 select device manager
3 click Sound
4 delete all sound devices
5 Click Bluetooth
6 Delete all audio devices
7 click scan for new hardware devices icon at the toolbar
8 Restart PC
Restart Teams and check the audio device in teams it should be solved
Hi there, If you restart your computer and leave only Microsoft teams on it will work.

Hi @Eliott I had this issue today where all device setting was greyed out for a user (user A),

What I did to solve the issue was logged on as another user (user B) on the same device tested teams it allowed me to select my device settings,

So I copied user B Teams folder c:/user/userb/appdata/Microsoft/teams to c:user/usera/appdata/Microsoft/team and reopen teams and I able to select the devices

@Eliott did you ever find a solution to this? I'm running into the same exact problem myself.

Also having this issue with no solution in sight.

I got the same last week and it drives me nuts.

The teams app is now completely useless for web meetings.

The funny part is that running the meetings using teams in my browser works just fine.

However there are some other limitations there.

Hi

got the same issue, non of the sound and camera are working on Teams. though I am able to test the devices successfully

@Eliott For me the culprit proved to be Croma Cam update. Uninstalling it restored everything.

What worked for me (from an idea further down the page)

1. Quit Teams

2. Go to C:\users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Microsoft

3. Just delete the whole Teams folder along with TeamsMeetingAddin and TeamsPresenceAddin.  If you can't delete it then you may still  have Teams running so try quitting it again rather than just closing it - look in the taskbar for the icon

4. Download Teams from https://www.microsoft.com/en/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/download-app#desktopAppDownloadregion  (or just Google Microsoft Teams download)

5. Reinstall

When I reinstalled everything was still there but now I could see my audio devices again.  Just uninstalling didn't do it as AppData was still left there I guess

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eliott (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I posted about this on the regular Microsoft community forums and someone pointed out that their issue was that Teams seemingly has an incompatibility Elgato's 4K60 Pro Mk2 Capture Card, and this was definitely the issue for me.

No solution still, other than simply removing the cards from my system (not really an option)... so the workaround is just using the browser version of Teams which is inferior, especially for screen sharing and video calls. Hopefully they can fix it sometime, but seeing the volume of people coming forward with this bug I'm sure there is a variety of other hardware that is incompatible.

Nevertheless, quite odd especially considering that said hardware works with the browser version of Teams which must share almost entirely the same code base.

View solution in original post