Unable to Reply to Skype message in Teams Only Mode

Copper Contributor

We are starting our migration to MS Teams and have a POC group in Teams Only mode. A few of the Users, when trying to reply to a Skype chat, are intermittently getting this message where they should be typing their response: Due to an org policy change, you can enjoy a richer chat and calling experience. Continue your conversation here

When they attempt to reply, a new Teams Only chat opens. They are unable to reply to the original message in Interoperability.  I have gone through all policies and I cannot find anything that has changed. 

Any help will be appreciated. 

6 Replies
I'm going to assume those users using Skype are set to Islands mode. There is a known issue right now when they deployed native federation that broke interop when Islands mode is used from a Teams Only user to Islands users Skype initiated chat. The fix is supposed to be in by Monday last I read. It's in the service health dashboard.

@Chris Webb 

was a fix or workaround found?   This appears to be hitting my ORG as well.

Far as I know it's been fixed.

@Chris Webb 

well then I guess I am dealing with a Org setting on the external user I am trying to contact then here.   They can message us from Skype, but we can't reply.  

Have you used External chat with other endpoints? Can you initiate a chat to them? (Does the search externally for xxx show up?)

@Chris Webb  I just noticed this today.  I had the issue reported intermittently, so I used a test user that was in Islands mode.  I am in Teams Only mode.  I sent an IM from my test user to myself and the first time I was able to reply normally.  Subsequent attempts gave me the following message:

Due to an org policy change, you can enjoy a richer chat and calling experience

after that is a link that moves to a  new Teams conversation, even if the Islands mode test user does not have Teams running.