Unable to manage the org I just created

Copper Contributor

I thought I'd give Teams Free a go (our business is currently using Slack), so I went to teams.microsoft.com and signed up for Teams Free.

I currently have a Microsoft account that I use with our team's Azure DevOps, so I thought I was using that account, but in hindsight, I think I created a secondary account with the same email address. During the sign up it asked me to choose a password, which I thought was odd but dismissed it as Teams being its own thing so, therefore, needing a new password. I now think this was wrong in that regard.

I tried to add the DevOps app to Teams to see what it can do, but it told me I wasn't a member of DevOps at all, which is when I began to realize my mistake.

I decided to try deleting the entire Teams org and see if I could start over with the correct account, the first step of which is to apparently go to "Manage org" in my user menu at the top right and make sure I'm the only user left (which I should be the only user, but this is beside the point).

My issue is, no such "Manage org" option exists in that menu on either the windows app nor the web version. So I can't manage the org I just created, I can't get DevOps to work in teams, I can barely tell what account I'm using by signing out and signing back in again. And I've no idea where to turn to get some actual help.

3 Replies
You done messed up A Aron.... :face_with_tears_of_joy:

Based on your screenshot you are actually logged into the full paid version of Teams. Most likely the work account tied to devops? That is why you do not have that option for manage org.

You can always try incognito window and hitting teams.microsoft.com and trying the email account again and when you have a duplicate account you’ll get asked to use your work or personal account. The personal account would be the one they should take you to the other org.

I guess it’s entirely possible that you actually signed up for one of the new free “paid” versions of teams? Do you have any of the welcome emails or what not. Not familiar with those offerings just know some were being offered and that could be causing some confusion with the documents seeing that your screenshot is def a paid / office 365 tenant view now the free look.

@Chris Webb Yeah, I definitely have the dual accounts thing going on, which I didn't before I signed up for Teams. The "personal" account is the one I was using previously and is therefore tied to DevOps, but it is quite possible we have previously established an org with Office 365 in the past and that is what I have unwittingly created an account under and a Teams instance for.

I don't really have any welcome emails from Teams at all, just the one with a verification code I had to use when signing up for Teams.

Side note, that email specifically states "Because you're signing up with a work email address, your employer may control your communications and data. Their policies apply to your use of the service." which I did not read because I just grabbed the confirmation code from the subject line...

But this gives me a lead, anyway. I'll see if I can find out if we have an Office 365 org set up and what account controls that...

I'm facing a similar issue where I don't see "manage org". The free instance admin email is not associated with any other microsoft accounts. Has any other solutions been found?