Unable to do any calls with Teams desktop client on macOS (Custom Setup)

Copper Contributor

A few weeks ago everything worked like a charm. I cannot define when exactly it stopped working because I didn't use Microsoft Teams for about a month.

I'm not able to do any kind of video or audio call, neither with the macOS desktop client nor with the web client. On a VM running Windows 10 (Parallels) everything works.

Other software on my macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (Skype, Skype for Business, Cisco Webex) works.

Steps I tried without success:

• Checking macOS permissions for MS Teams (microphone, camera, accessibility) --> ok
  • Restarting Teams
  • Restarting macOS
  • Updating Microsoft Teams. Current version is 1.3.00.9271. It was last updated on 12/05/2020.
  • Reinstalling Microsoft Teams a couple times...

All my chat controls look like this:

MijoBarbaric_0-1589318061531.png

Settings / Devices only contains Custom Setup. I cannot select anything else, although there should be at least two options (internal hardware from MacBook and headset)

MijoBarbaric_1-1589318111281.png

Any ideas or suggestions? Does anyone else have this problem too?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Mijo

9 Replies

Having the same issue on Windows, version 1.3.00.12516 (64-bit)-E  :\

@kartben @MijoBarbaric Currently I see this is also same issue in our environment, in macOS teams calls get dropped immediately as soon as we call.

If it's same issue for other environments as well, Microsoft should be able to help us here...

Same problem on my MacBook (just updated to MacOS 10.15.5). Any feedback by Microsoft?

@DataDavid I am also having this issue. My MacBook Pro updated to the latest version of Catalina yesterday 10.15.5. 

Now no one can see or hear me in a Teams call and I cannot see or hear them either although I can see myself.

@AdrienneElle Anyone else using ESET Cyber Security? Might be that ESET causes the problem: https://forum.eset.com/topic/23439-microsoft-teams-issues/ They advice to customize the firewall to provide access to Teams Helper. No experience myself so far if it helps.

@DataDavid I was just researching this issue because I am unable to do video calls lately too and I came across your reply. I do happen to have ESET installed (an imposition from work). What are the modifications to the firewall required?

@J_Gordo Feel free to check the post in the ESET forum (see above). There it says you need to establish a new firewall rule with the following details:

Name: Allow Teams Helper
App: /Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper.app
Action: Allow

Direction: In
Protocol: TCP & UDP
Ports: Remote
Remote Port: All
Destination: Entire internet

I have set this rule myself yesterday but I didn't have a chance for a new Teams meeting since then. So I couldn't test the (hopefully positive) effect so far.

Yes, this definitely sorted out the problems I was having. I just tested it too with a video call with my boss and worked fine.

@DataDavid 

I did this and it didn't work, but I noticed that on ESET log the app name in my case was: /Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Teams Helper

I changed the app on the rule to this and it worked after that. Thanks!