Unable to create an Org Wide Team

Copper Contributor

I am a Global Admin of our 365 Tenant and am trying to create an Org Wide Team in MS Teams, however when trying to do this the option is not showing?  I know for a fact we don't have any other Org Wide teams so it can't be the more that 5 Org Wide Team restriction, and we only have approx 4k users with either an E1 or E3 licence so we shouldn't be over the 5000 user limit either.

Can anyone shed any light please?

4 Replies

@PGClax 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/create-an-org-wide-team

Hi there - It sounds like you have already looked at the documentation to see how to create an org-wide team and the option is just not showing for you.  If that is the case, it sounds like it may be due to how your licenses are configured.  Here's some information with screenshots on how your admin portal should look to ensure you have the capability to create an org-wide team. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/iw-trial-teams

If that still doesn't work, let us know and we can investigate other options.

Thank you!

@PGClax it worked after I created a new cloud-only global admin (newadmin@orgname.onmicrosoft.com), but still not showing up for synchronized admins from on-premises ADDS.

@PGClax I have found that you need to create the Org-wide Team from within Teams and therefore your global admin account needs a Teams License.

In case anyone is looking for a solution, I'm leaving what I found here.

After elevating my account to Teams admin, I was unable to create an Org-Wide team.
(Note: We had only 1 Org-Wide Team, 5 being the limit and less than 5000 users)

You can't create an Org-Wide Team from the Teams admin console, you need to access a client. If your account was logged in before elevating your rights YOU NEED TO LOGOUT AND LOGIN AGAIN.
All the other admin option were available without logout/login except this one making the whole thing even more confusing.

Hope this helps, have a nice day.