Unable to create a new Team

Copper Contributor

As of last week I am unable to create a new team.  I'm the sole IT Manager and have made no changes to the tenant and others can create a new Team, but I somehow lost the ability to do so.  Neither my Admin nor my normal user account can do so.  I have opened a MS ticket, but it has went quiet after I showed them the information.   Has anyone experienced this?  Was there a change in Office 365 that might have impacted this?

11 Replies

Any particular error you are getting? Or are the creation controls gone altogether? I'd suggest working with the support engineer, if he's unresponsive you can always call them or call the support line.

Hey Vasil,

No errors at all and it removed the ability to create a new one but left some functions.

issue2.PNG

Good suggestion to call, as my support ticket seems to have died in the process.

I'll update this if I find a solution.

Hi Rob. Just a quick reflection from my side, but what happens after you click on "Create team" in the interface of your screenshot? Below "Add to existing group". I wonder if you have missed that function as it might had been shifted alright quite recently. Cheers.

@Magnus FälthIt gives a list of current groups that I can create a team in.  Sadly I don't want to do it in one of those groups.  I thought maybe MS changed it to only allow creation of a new team in an already created group, but others do not require this, so does not appear to be true.

Something interesting is happening. If I create a new group and follow the link that says create a team for that group, it works, however it also says "Unknown has added jon doe the group" I'm convinced something is wrong with my account in a way I can't fix.

Yes, it does sound as there is something wrong with your account. I hope MS support is able to fix it.

@RobN-IT760 How many other Teams / Groups is your account an Owner of?  I wonder whether you have hit a limit.

Can you create an Office 365 Group via https://admin.microsoft.com/Adminportal/Home#/groups ?

@Rob EllisWe are a pretty small company and I have only created 4 groups, so I can't imagine I have hit any limit.  And yes, I can create a group, and if I use the link that says create a team for this group, it works. It just has me listed as an unknown user when doing it that way.  And I can not just create a team on its own.

Thanks for the suggestion though Rob.

Hopefully support will find something causing it.

There is a reported issue in the O365 Admin Portal. 

TM192965 that might have been the issue.

Doesn't say that couldn't create Teams, but not able to create new Channels.  So might be related.

Issue started on October 10, says that Microsoft is monitoring the issue as of this morning and that it is possibly resolved.

Closing the loop on this. There is no real fix for my account and no root cause that support could identify. I'm expected to use a work around and login to the admin center and create a team in there, as doing so in teams, either the app or we client will not allow it.