SOLVED

Turning notifications off for one team, not entire app

Copper Contributor

Hello.

I was recently invited as a guest into a Team for something. I wanted to use my personal email, but due to it not being an O365 account, I had to provide my work email. 

I don't like to mix work and personal but it was the only option at this time. However, I don't want to get notifications from the work Teams on my personal computer or phone. Is there a way to disable notifications for one without disabling the notifications for all?

9 Replies
Little confused on what is what in your request here. You have multiple options but need a little more clarity on what you mean. Do you mean you want notifications off on your phone? But still get them on your work PC, or?

@Chris Webb Sorry, I tried to make sense but I tend to overthink stuff. I was invited as a guest to a team for something outside of work but my only O365 account was work, so I had to use that email address. I really don't want to mix business and personal so I would like the notifications (if possible) to only alert the devices as listed below. I hope this clarifies my thoughts a little better and leads to an answer.

Work teams (primary account)Other team (guest account)
Work Computer (Mac)OnOff
Work Phone (iPhone)OnOff
Personal Computer (PC)OffOn
Personal Phone (Android)OffOn
You know you dont have to use a Office 365 account? You can use any email address like outlook or gmail!

@adam deltinger That's what I thought but the admin of the other team (that I'm a guest on) said that they've had issues in the past where non O365 accounts couldn't access the files and such through Teams and they preferred a O365 account to connect. Maybe I'll just ask them to try for me.

Yeah what Adam said, you can have a personal Microsoft account or gmail account invited to a Team and you can login on your personal devices with that account. That would be the best way.

But that said, in your current situation as long as you don't switch tenants, and stay logged into the right ones you won't get notifications for them I believe. I know the phone has been seemingly getting unified notifications even if you aren't logged in.
best response confirmed by Cori Frede (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I do it all the time with a personal account it's fine, the biggest issue is accepting the invite, making sure you are incognito when you accept it and login with the proper Microsoft Account.
Yeah! Ask them, I never had issues with this

Thank you all for your responses. I spoke with the owner of the team and she added my personal account but said "let me know if you can't access the files". So far I see everything so perhaps it was an old issue that Microsoft fixed but she hadn't tried again in a while or something.

For the most part it works fine, however there are some special instances of people being users, some users having Personal and Business accounts sharing the same login address, and a couple other scenarios that can be problematic, but overall it works fine. Glad you got it going.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Cori Frede (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I do it all the time with a personal account it's fine, the biggest issue is accepting the invite, making sure you are incognito when you accept it and login with the proper Microsoft Account.

View solution in original post