Trying to play live music i Teams meeting

Copper Contributor

Is there any way to control/turn off all the compression and other tweeks of the sound in Teams meetings? I have a situastion where I need the clean sound from my professional sound card (RME Fireface UFX 2). I was planning to give my collegues at a school a little show, using live instruments via the Fireface sound card. The sound was all fine before it went through the Teams-system. To be sure I got the right quality, I recorded the little concert with the in-built recording service inside the meeting room. That worked well, but unfortunately the sound was heavily compressed and gated, and made the recording sound very bad. Teams is also doing something with the actual timing of the music. Cuts some milliseconds here and there.

I guess the reason for this is that the Teams meeting is not made for music playing but for speech. I am aware of the Live Event service, but it is unpractical to invite all the participants in a meeting over to the live event. As far as i know, there is also a 20 second delay in Live Events, so the spontaneous response will dissapear.

I hope there is some solutions to this.

Kind regards, Torbjørn Sletta Jacobsen

3 Replies

@torborama 

I don't think that there is much tweaking that you can do. 

But you can probably pre-process your audio  and feed it directly in watching the levels to keep the compression from kicking in.

The little gaps are probably because of your network connection. Both the speed and variability of packets (jitter) can have significant impact to the signal. If the network drops out or gets slow, Teams will do things like speed up a voice stream, cutting small gaps in the data stream. 

Hi @torborama 

For a clean audio experience, produce your sound on a live event via an external app (e.g. OBS Studio). Delay can be reduced to 10 seconds with good internet connectivity.

Regards,

Adil Yoosuf