Trouble logging into Teams

Copper Contributor

Hi

I recently purchased Office 365 (Family) and have been trying to sign up for Teams, I have even just spent 90 minutes in chat, who has suggested I post here.  Everytime I click on sign up for free, I enter my email address, it then asks me for my password and then says it looks like a school account and directs me to the Education plan.  This is wrong as its a personal account.  Can you please help?  In the last 3 weeks I have sent to emails to Microsoft Teams, without a reply and chatted to someone twice!!

Thanks 

Steve

6 Replies

@StevieG_01 

Hi, The log in on the app (mac) now has a different message, it now says, 'you're missing out! Ask your admin to enable Microsoft Teams'

However, when I click 'sign up for free', it still says I have a school account so I'm not able to sign up.

Is there any way I can change from a school account to a personal account?  How doI do it?

Thanks

Steve

@StevieG_01 I don't believe you can use Teams with that type of licence, i think it is only for business licences.  This post indicates that if you select family you will be redirected to sign up for Skype!https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sign-up-for-teams-free-70aaf044-b872-4c32-ac47-362ab29ebb...

@StevieG_01 - If you're trying to use the free version then you need to choose the "business" option (not personal or school options), give it a Business name (can be your name or anything) and then progress. Got confused myself at this point but once you choose the Business Option it will then let you log in with your Microsoft account (as long as that account isn't used for the business version of Microsoft365). You'll then be able to create a team etc. although the functionality of Teams is a cut down version of full Teams.

If you find your account is a school or business account then you either need to get admin to remove you from that school or business account or create a new Microsoft account for personal use which you can then use for Teams with other users with a personal Microsoft account. At present you cant mix the two types of account on Teams.

Thanks for your reply, I've never signed up for a school accojnt sonot sure why I keep getting the page!! I wouldn't know which school to ask to remove me!!@Allan Clarke 

@StevieG_01 - Create a completely new Microsoft account and use that to create your Teams set up. Once its set up you remain logged in and the free version has very little functionality that interacts with your account. You can still invite anyone to a team that has a Microsoft account.

I have a business account but because my business license only allows 5 guests (that I can invite to teams) and I might need more than 5 people in a team, I have used my personal Microsoft account to create the Teams set up I want. My PC happily lets me use my business office365 whislt teams is logged in to the provate account. You will be able to use your PC and Microsoft log in as you do now, just that Teams will be on a different account!