SOLVED

Trigger customized sharepoint library

Copper Contributor

Good day everybody,

When creating a new Team in MS Teams a new sharepoint site is automatically being created. But the sharepoint document library is empty.

Now, is there a possiblity to have the document library being automaticcaly created with files of my choosing (for instance copied from a pre-specified source)?

This would be extremly helpful because I intend to open up a Team for every project and in this way every project could already have all the necessary documents in place.

Thank you.

6 Replies
This is something you can do for sure...if you are asking about a builtin support, it's not provided....but definitively something that you could do for instance by means of Flow or even a serveless process (An Azure Function)

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

I checked out Microsoft Flow but couldn't find the feature. Any guidance would be appreciated.

best response confirmed by fusscreme (Copper Contributor)
Solution
For one of our customers we have written PowerShell scripts to copy an existing Team completely, setting the name of the team etc. Something the out of the box copy function does not do. These teams had a tab to a central site that contain documents and news for all users. We could have copied a set of documents to each team but for instance if they were template documents the best approach may be to have a central location so that they can be updated for all Teams once.

@Andrew Hodges 

I wrote a short PowerShell-script that sets up a new team with the "New-Team" cmdlet.
Several shortcomings:

- The created group is not shown in outlook clients

- Team members are not subscribed to the group / don't follow the group by default

You can change these things with the exchange powershell module but: 1) you have to set proper exchange permissions first to use the relevant cmdlets and 2) connecting to powershell exchange when MFA is activated is a hassle.

Also, at the moment you cannot create new tabs in teams with powershell.

Hi@fusscreme ,

A bit more information, have a look at the graph API, within our powershell scripts we use the Graph API to copy the full Team. It uses an Azure App but MFA has to be off for the user, we haven't found a way around that in this scenario. 

If I was able to share the scripts I would but a client paid for a lot of development time to get these built. 

Hope that helps.

Andy

@Andrew Hodges: Thanks for the hint! I did already stumble upon graph API. If I have more time I might take a closer look at it.

Also, thanks for the info about MFA, that is good to know. And no problem about the scripts, I completely understand.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by fusscreme (Copper Contributor)
Solution
For one of our customers we have written PowerShell scripts to copy an existing Team completely, setting the name of the team etc. Something the out of the box copy function does not do. These teams had a tab to a central site that contain documents and news for all users. We could have copied a set of documents to each team but for instance if they were template documents the best approach may be to have a central location so that they can be updated for all Teams once.

View solution in original post