SOLVED

This Phone Number Is Already Taken

Copper Contributor

Attempting to sign up for Microsoft Teams on an android device. 

I type in my email address and password, all good.

I put in my phone number and receive a code, I type it in ... 'This phone number has already been taken.'

There is no way around this that I see as it states 'you need to specify a phone number to use this app.'

I followed the troubleshooting advice of logging in to any other microsoft accounts I have and removing the phone number from them and adding the phone number to the account I wish to log in with; still it tells me that this phone number is already taken.

To me this suggests somebody has previously used this number to log in to microsoft teams, but unless I can access that account and remove my number I can not sign up and use microsoft teams using my phone number. 

Does any suggest a way I can log in using my number? Can authenticator remove my number from accounts I do not have access to?

8 Replies

Hello @wario01  I found this on our answers.microsoft.com tech support site - perhaps it will help you:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/microsoft-teams-account-number-already-taken/3...

I'm having the same problem, but I'm fairly sure that the phone number is not associated with any other accounts.

Sorry, no suggestion, I'm just tagging onto your post.
Hopefully we'll get a response from Microsoft. 

@ThereseSolimeno 

FYI

This is a link to a thread containing 3 pages of identical issues since July 2020 with no resolution provided.

This is clearly a significant issue for the Microsoft Teams Business product and a resolution needs to be identified.

I have the exact same issue. Not sure which account my phone number is linked to but if it's my previous employer then how do I get access to have it removed. How do I register for MS Teams at my new company? Any new solutions since last post? 

@ThereseSolimeno 

I am having the same problem.

@etw0789   @ChristianBergstrom , can you assist here?  I feel like there's a doc addressing this but I can't seem to find it.

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@ThereseSolimeno @wario01 @etw0789 @carlyn369 @VGriffin 

Should be this article 

Troubleshoot phone number already taken in Teams - Office Support (microsoft.com)

Adding these on the topic as well.

Adding your phone number to a Microsoft account - Office Support

Change your phone number or email address - Office Support (microsoft.com)

If someone have no idea what account that could be associated with the phone number, the number can be entered here to get an indication of that https://account.live.com/username/recover

Yup.

This is the resolution.

I tried to link this other places in this thread, but it doesn't populate very well.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@ThereseSolimeno @wario01 @etw0789 @carlyn369 @VGriffin 

Should be this article 

Troubleshoot phone number already taken in Teams - Office Support (microsoft.com)

Adding these on the topic as well.

Adding your phone number to a Microsoft account - Office Support

Change your phone number or email address - Office Support (microsoft.com)

If someone have no idea what account that could be associated with the phone number, the number can be entered here to get an indication of that https://account.live.com/username/recover

View solution in original post