SOLVED

There is no "Join a team with a code" option

Brass Contributor

All of my coworkers can access our meeting via a code that one of them sent to us, but I can't insert it because I don't have that option. If I click on "Join or create a team", my only available option is "create a team", and I can't see how can I enable the "join a team with a code" option, despite everyone seems to already have it by default. Help me please, thank you in advance.

13 Replies
Hi Daniele,

What happens when you try this via the web (teams.microsoft.com).
Do you have the option there?

@Mitchell BakkerThank you for your reply. Unfortunately I have the same problem both in the app and browsers (I tried on edge and chrome). I also chatted with an operator but he couldn't help me, that's why I'm writing here

best response confirmed by Daniele_Cidda (Brass Contributor)
Solution
After contacting two Microsoft's operators with no success, the third one finally figured out my problem.

I don't know why, but I should have subscribed with the institutional email in order to unlock all the other options like "join a team with code". I instead used my personal email account, that's why it was a very limited and bugged version.

I hope that someone else who is going to lose his sanity like me for that problem, will find that post usefull
Lost an important meeting because of that

Unfortunately I have the same problem both in the app and browsers (I tried on edge and chrome). I also chatted with an operator but he couldn't help me, that's why I'm writing here.

@Daniele_Cidda I am losing my mind over this.  I've tried to get a business account to unlock the other options so I can use the code but it just keeps logging me back in as a personal user.  Is there any way to change the account to business.  Microsoft is not very user friendly I'm finding and the help is user based rather than reaching an actual Teams support person.

Anyway advice you or others could offer would be very helpful.

K

@Daniele_Cidda I've just tried creating a business account and still have the same problem.  Really need some help here.

I'm having the same problem and I created my account using my business email. None of my coworkers have the "Join a Team with a Code" button either. Is this maybe because we have a free account and not the premium paid version? We are all missing a very important meeting for a bid right now and I'm going crazy trying to figure it out!

@Daniele_Cidda Do you think that is because your institution has a subscription to the paid version of Microsoft Teams? The only thing I can think is that I can't see the "Join" button because I'm using the free version. 

Hey guys, I'm sorry I didn't reply before. I received the notification emails from your replies, but I mistook them for commercial emails and I ignored them.

I think that I solved the problem in the way I explained because my university (I referred to them as "my coworkers" because that's how we call students from the same class here, I don't know if you use "classmates" at the university) is affiliated with Microsoft in a way that gives us for free the subscription to Office 365, if we subscribe to it using our institutional email (the email we have as students, that's linked to our university account).

Maybe you have the free bugged and limited version, that's probably why you still have the problem. I can't know for sure, but that seems plausible

@Daniele_Cidda same things happing here

@Daniele_Cidda 

I'm still running into this same issue. I do not have a work or school email, but both the group providing education and potential employers are trying to use Teams to do meetings.

Luckily, I was able to enter using the Web version, but I'd prefer to use the app on Windows 11.

I tried downloading the version you linked to, it made no difference whatsoever. Oh and I do have a paid subscription to Office 365. I'm beginning to question why at this point. Oh yes, the course.. and the OneDrive upgrade.

Any further suggestions?

No, I'm sorry. What I wrote here is how I solved my problem, so that's all I know about the possible solutions. The only thing I can suggest you is to make sure the email account you used to unlock the premium Office 365 version is the same you are using to log-in on Teams, and to look if there is anything else you should pay for in order to unlock every feature of Teams. That's all I can suggest you, what I wrote in the "best response confirmed" is all I know unfortunately.

Also, ask the host for a link instead of a code.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Daniele_Cidda (Brass Contributor)
Solution
After contacting two Microsoft's operators with no success, the third one finally figured out my problem.

I don't know why, but I should have subscribed with the institutional email in order to unlock all the other options like "join a team with code". I instead used my personal email account, that's why it was a very limited and bugged version.

I hope that someone else who is going to lose his sanity like me for that problem, will find that post usefull

View solution in original post