The continuous crashing of MS Teams on android

Copper Contributor

The last week and a half I've had an issue with MS Teams, as it crashes very often. It stops, without a warning, and often lets me send a crash report. Often in the same calls as the crashes, the screen will flicker black, and not show shared content. As my WiFi is quite bad, I'm on my 4G, so that shouldn't be a problem. It happens the same in calls with 50 people, as with just 1. I always turn all incoming video off, in the hope it saves me some data usage.

I timed the crashes, and they are between 30 seconds, and 10+ minutes.

Things I've tried:

I have deleted cache, deleted all storage, re-downloaded the app, restarted my phone, used a different account with the same issue. I have lowered the storage on my phone to make sure that wasn't the issue, used several ways to join meetings, turned incoming video on/off , turned Bluetooth on/off and had just teams active on the device. It doesn't matter whether there is shared content or not.

I have not had this issue on any of my other devices. (But because those don't have 4G, I cant use it anyway). (The hotspot doesn't show up for them, but that's a different issue)

Details about phone:

I'm on a Motorola G6 (released april 2018), with Android 9. 

My phone is unrooted, and has 4GB of storage free.

I'd be happy to see anything that can make this issue less frequent, or disappear. I'll keep trying to fix it myself as well, as it impacts my studies.

Thanks in advance.

17 Replies

@C0nn0rthere could be two possible issues;

- internet connection is not stable. The slow or unstable network connection can also lead to app crashes on Android. If you are using Wi-Fi, you can switch to cellular data to have a try or vice versa.

- try to troubleshoot this issue via using different mobile (e.g. any colleague’s Android device). It will help us to determine whether it is a specific device-side issue.

i know you have tried all other options... but the first one about the internet even you switch maybe your 3G/4G is also week...or could be this specific model having issues...

@PDostiyar Hi, thanks for your response. I checked the speed of cellular at the time of crashes happening, which is 33mb/s download and 27.5 upload. I also checked it whilst the call was going on normally, which was 20.7mb/s download and 33.9mb/s upload. I have no idea how much it normally varies, as I don't check it that often, so I am not sure if this actually means anything.

I have checked it on another device via a hotspot and wifi. My galaxy tab A (2018), as I have nothing else. Which upon connection to the call crashed after a minute. The same way the app normally does on my phone. 

@C0nn0rso if you have checked the same on two different devices and still get the crash on both then for sure this is something related to the Internet connection or maybe even your user account that is causing the issue, as both the devices shouldn't be like not working....

Yess the same issue to me also... I too tried all the ways... But same coming... Kindly please solve this issue
I have this issue on my pixel phone as well. Tried restarting the app / phone several times. Also reinstalled the app. Nothing seems to resolve the issue. It all all started only this week. This is happening only with MS Teams. All other apps are working well. Please help.
Hello, same issue here. Since I updated my phone from Android 9 to Android 11, Ms teams keeps crashing. I can join meetings, I can turn on my cam and microphone, but when our teacher shares his/her screen, the app will automatically close and be back on the home screen.

I've also tried clearing data and cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, restarting my phone, and I even erased all of my data from my phone, but it keeps crashing.

About my phone:
updated version: vivo rev 6.12.9
vivo ROM: Funtouch OS_9
Android version: 11
Processor: 2.0 GHz Octa-core
Hi, same issue, different device. Fire Tablet HD10 2021. This is used as a school tablet and while in an MS Teams meeting, opening links is making me leave the meeting.

the tablet has been factory reset and the MS Teams app has been numerously uninstalled and reinstalled but it keeps on crashing from time to time and opening links will make you leave the meeting. connection is good and we tried a different internet connection but still got the same results
@C0nn0r There might be 2 possible reasons:
1) Unstable and insecure internet connection, preventing teams to give best performance.
2) Too much files or data saved on the device, preventing cache.
This can be solved by reinstalling the Microsoft Office, repairing Office and deleting temporary files and the local cache.
This has got nothing with internet or cache, I have tried it on at least 4 to 5 different ISPs, it still crashes on Android, Microsoft needs to look into this crappy app.
Same here, Wife and I, have identical Android 12, Pixel 5a phones, yet her Teams is crashing on launch. Teams on my Phone is fine.

1. Total Number of Orgs 3
2. 2 Free Company Orgs
3. 1 Teams Free (phone number based) org
4. Calls can be received.
5. Teams crashes on manual launch.

This is a Teams backend issue, since it works fine on one device.
App crashing during calls on Pixel 7 Pro. Had same issue on Pixel 6 Pro.
cache and storage cleared, app reinstalled, device reset.
Tested on multiple wifi networks operating on fibre connections.

I have the same issue on my Galaxy s10, it's either teams update or Android update causes the issue, everything worked well before, can't use teams for calls cause in 2 minutes app crashes, reinstalled, cleared cache, nothing helps, dear Microsoft please fix it cause it's not possible to use teams for work. Not long ago I had the issue with Teams on Windows with spamming login pop-up and now this, it seems that teams is the lagiest application after Skype 

Tips to fix-
Uninstall MS Teams first.
Go to Settings-> General-> Reset menu.
Select Reset all settings option.
If prompted, enter the correct passcode for your device.
Tap to confirm all settings reset.
Reboot your iPhone when the reset is finished then continue to set up your device.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez
This just started happening on my Samsung S22 Ultra. I don't have an issue with Internet connectivity or space on my phone. Microsoft needs to figure out what is going on here. The crashes don't provide for an option to report. Needs to be fixed. Luckily I don't rely on it for calls very often. Just messages.
So what you are saying is to wipe our phone and hope this goes away. NEXT!

This is still a major issue. Sometimes I have meetings early when I'm dropping kids off at school and trying to use Teams is very iffy.

1st, it takes 2-3 tries in order to get into a meeting. It crashes the first time and then when I attempt the second it asks me if I want to transfer to my Android phone or add a device to the meeting in progress. Why would it being seeing another device when my Android phone is the only device I'm attempting to use? Also I've tried killing the client on my PC and that does not help with the join/transfer device prompt.

2nd, once in the meeting, if I hit unmute it is done some nervously. If I hit unmute, most of the times it will crash the app. The only reliable way is to attempt to make it into the meeting unmuted in the app which could take 2-3 tries and then use headphones that you can tap to unmute if you need to speak.

This is ridiculous and it is a Microsoft issue. There is nothing we can do on our phones to make this work. FIX IT! This is frustrating!

@RWoody7289 I have the exact same issue as you on a new Motorola Razr+ 2023 with over 100GBs of free disk space. Attempted all possible fixes listed in this thread (rebooting, uninstalling, reinstalling, clearing cache, using cellular, using WiFi, etc).

I also have an iPhone 12 and Teams app is not crashing there while on the same network when I conducted the testing (but for logistic reasons that is my test phone, and I can't switch to it long term).

MICROSOFT support - how can we access and provide you the necessary Teams app logs/crash dump on Android to see the cause for this? Is it possible to load an older version on the app, if so can you provide instructions?

I didn't have this problem 5-6 months ago but recently it's been getting worse and worse to a point that it's embarrassing to tell my clients and co-workers that my Teams meeting crashes. Please loop in developers and management on this right away!