The Chat Notification Badge That Won't Die

Copper Contributor

I know there's another thread on this, but literally none of those solutions worked, so I'm a starting a new thread.

My chat notification won't go away. All of my chats are read. Here's everything I've done to fix this already (note- It's a corporate computer so I can't mess with the anti-virus):

• Signed out of the app every (desktop, web, phone)
  • Restarted my computer
  • Cleared the cache data from all 13 different locations
  • Changed the setting to close the app when I shut down
  • Closed it in the Task Manager
  • Turned off all of my notifications 
  • Clicked on every chat I've received over the last week

The only thing that seemed to maybe be the culprit was a very large company meeting and I was the last to leave. There was a lot of chat in that meeting, though I didn't participate in any of it. The reason I think this was when I went to log into to Teams from my browser, as I started to type "Microsoft Teams" I noticed in the suggested sites that there was a chat message from that meeting. So obviously I've left the meeting. I've deleted that chat. I've even left the teams channel that hosts those meetings. 

For what it's worth, I don't have any notifications on the phone app (android). It's just on the desktop and the web. 

Please, for the love of god, help. It's slowly driving me insane and I don't have the mental capacity to deal with anything else that makes me insane during quarantine. :) *jk- I'm fine. It's a joke*

52 Replies
Glad you found a fix for your configuration. I wish I could explain the difference between yours and mine. I had also tried deinstalling and reinstalling (no cleanup tho), but that always seemed to leave something locally that made the notification reappear after a new setup.
Other posts on the net suggested clearing the local cache, but were only related to the "pro" version of teams for which the cache folder is located in a different path. That gave me the idea to locate the local cache of the free version and try that solution. It worked for me.

@NMSAZ

After you signed out and signed back in did you try selecting "sign in with a different account" and then signing back in with your account? This is the only thing which worked for me.

Signing out and back in worked for me.
worked for me thank you sooo much :)

@Dr4hkc3 

This fixed my long-standing issue with the count stuck at 1 on Windows 11 for Microsoft Teams

Hi guys,

Upgrading to Windows 11 last week and this is literally my only issue - I just can't clear the '1' for the taskbar icon for Teams... I've uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times. Just the downloadable .exe.

notif.pngScreenshot-2023-05-08-182321.png

My Feed is clear as you can see.

I get this when I try and download from the MS Store:

Screenshot 2023-05-08 211715.png

And advice?

Thanks.

I'm not seeing this path? Nothing Teams related at all by the looks...

@piyushkmr-ak Same problem for me, on both a desktop and laptop logged in with the same account. There is nothing unread in my chats, I've even manually gone through and deleted all the old chats to make sure BUT IT'S STILL THERE!

I think to myself, ok, I won't let it bother me, just forget about it.... but every day it's there, looking at me, waiting for me to crack.

Ha, same... and I've tried everything.

Which version of Teams are you using?
I thought I was onto a winner with this one but unfortunately the icon badge still stares at me with it's unforgiving eyes.
The latest free version for W11. Just cleared all the cache folders but still there.
Web download?
Funny, after you said that, I've downloaded the app through the Windows Store and it opens as a completely separate install and doesn't have the notification! So I guess I'll be using that from now on.
That's great! That's the version that I can't download/install for some reason. See my picture. I think it's something to do with the MS account I'm using. It's a personal account but I have an active 365 Family sub running and I don't think Teams (MS Store Personal) supports that.
Update... I got kicked out of that app now I can't login with a free Microsoft account
Hi, iOS app every few weeks show unread message as badge count … if switch from one account to another often the badge count also switches to the account not being used…
Fix to reset this seems to be to open Activity tab on each account and simply change a filter to C say unread then back to all then it goes away for me…
Microsoft can you please fix this as it is a bug and take up our time as we do not know if a new message has really arrived as it may already be showing unread messages but that is untrue

@PeterJSY

Thank you @Dr4hkc3! This has now been saved a solution for the stupid notification problem!

@piyushkmr-akthanks, that makes sense. it was same for me. This is clearly a bug Microsoft should fix, as it is very frustrating. a deleted message should not cause the badge to stall for ever.

@Ken_Stewart three cache paths? I think I need to revisit this option, I keep giving up.

I'm an M365 account holder, on Windows 11, using the web downloaded version of Teams as opposed to the MS Store version, which for the record, I still can't download. Think that has something to do with the type of MS account you're signed in with.

This is what worked for me to remove the number from the Teams icon in the Taskbar.

1. Go to Windows Settings > Personalisation > Taskbar.  Under Taskbar items, set Chat to On.

2. Click the Chat icon on the Taskbar.

3. If the ... (What's new and more) button at the top right of the Chat window is showing a red (or some other colour) dot, then this is the issue.  Click the ... button and select What's new from the popup menu.  The badge number on the Teams icon should now have disappeared.

So, it seems that Teams displays a badge number on the Teams icon in the Taskbar when there is a notification of something new in the What's new section.  However, I could not find any way to see this notification or display the What's new menu from within the Teams app itself.  It seems to only be accessible via the Chat app.  Go figure!

I had this problem on two of my Windows 11 computers and this solution worked on both of them.