SOLVED

Teams Webinar Feature availability in Business Plans

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I just like to know if anybody has the Teams Webinar Feature available already with a Business Standard plan?

According to Microsoft, this is what they stated here:
These new capabilities will be available in Microsoft 365 E3/E5, Microsoft 365 A3/A5, and Microsoft 365 Government G3/G5 plans. Microsoft 365 Business Standard and Microsoft 365 Business Premium plans will include all the features above for up to 300 attendees. And for the rest of 2021, we are offering a promotional period where all Teams users can try the features with their existing subscription. Please visit the Microsoft 365 roadmap and Microsoft Docs for additional feature details and availability.

As I only have a Business Basic plan, I opted in for a Business Premium plan with the free trial. Unfortunately, I do not have the Webinar feature available with that plan. My Business Standard trial has been expired, so I could not test with this plan.
With what they announced above I even would have expected that the feature will be offered for Business Basic users too for free, at least until the end of the year.
I did also signed up for a trial of the E3 plan, with that, I can see and use the Microsoft Teams Webinar. However, to me, the plan is oversized and too expensive (I'm not saying that it is not worth the money - but I do not need all these features and options). I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get the Webinar feature, which would be Business Standard.

So again, please can somebody else with a Business Standard Plan let me know if he or she has the Microsoft Team Webinar Feature available (or even with a Basic)? Also statements if you do not have the feature but you are owing a Business Standard would be helpful. 

If you have the Webinars, can you please also state in which region your tenant resides? 

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Yogie

17 Replies

@SensorgrafieI have the Business Standard Plan. However, the feature doesn't show in my and a colleague's Teams. According to this article it should be possible, though:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/373511/new-ms-teams-webinar-feature.html

I already logged off/in again. My company is using MS Teams in Germany, by the way.

Anybody know what's up with that?

@Kramergu many thanks for letting me know. I've added my 50ct to the thread you posted.

@Sensorgrafie 

Hi there, I couldn't add anything useful to the conversation really, just another questionmark. :sad:

In my company we all have the Microsoft 365 Business Premium license, but still none of us can create webinars
best response confirmed by Sensorgrafie (Brass Contributor)
Solution
To have the Webinar Feature available you need to run a few PS commands:

Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -Identity Global -AllowMeetingRegistration $True
Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -AllowPrivateMeetingScheduling $True
Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -Identity Global -WhoCanRegister "Everyone"
Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -AllowEngagementReport Enabled

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/set-up-webinars and
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-powershell-install (to enable the PS to connect)

It may take up to 24 hours until all of the PS commands have been implemented and do take effect. However, you will not have any button that says "Webinar" with a business plan, instead please try to create a webinar like this:

You have to go to the calendar then click new meeting.
Open the drop-down where it says require registration and chose everyone (for a public webinar).
After that, you should see a text link to view registration form you need to schedule a date and time again. (The reason for that is, that you actually can start the meeting before the webinar (itself and you let guests in, for example, to test anything, make last preparations or discuss anything with your speakers).
You have to hit save at the registration form once before the link to the registration page itself will work. And you have to save the actual meeting too before the webinar is set up and the registration page becomes functional. If you do not see the require registration at the top (next to the time zone picker) your tenant might not have received the webinar feature yet.

I do have webinars received, at my tenant (region of my tenant is Germany), I have different licenses assigned to my users.

At the E3 plan, there is a drop-down that clearly shows "Webinar" to start the settings for an MS Teams Webinar. (So I know my tenant is up to date on this).
But users with a Business Standard or Premium plan do not have that drop-down next to new meeting.

So I wonder if the way to set up an MS Teams Webinar is simply different with a Business plan vs. E3 - just as I described above.

My assumption is, you can turn a "regular" meeting by enabling a registration page into a Webinar. At least it looks like this because while I was testing with the Business plan user (even with Business Basic!) that worked and I was able to set up a webinar. This is unconfirmed by Microsoft so far and there is no documentation. All documentation that I found show that next to scheduling a Webinar there is always a Live Event feature option, this, however, is only available in enterprise licenses as the E3 plan.

@Sensorgrafie 

Thank you for posting this. I wish there was another solution, but meh. Let's not be picky.

What means is this working for you now?

I will give feedback as soon as our company has tried it this way.

Finally, I got the confirmation from Microsoft support, that what I found out and described above is currently how things look like and how MS Teams Webinars are set up and work within the Business Plans.

Microsoft Support wrote:
We confirm that the webinar is included on the Business Standard and Business Premium licenses however it does not have the fancy button that you will see on the enterprise license. (please see the attachments).

We acknowledge that there is a room for improvement especially on documentation and we also apologize for any confusion.

Microsoft listens to all feedback and we use it reinforce your positive experiences and act on suggested improvements.

@Sensorgrafie wrote:

Finally, I got the confirmation from Microsoft support, that what I found out and described above is currently how things look like and how MS Teams Webinars are set up and work within the Business Plans.

Microsoft Support wrote:
We confirm that the webinar is included on the Business Standard and Business Premium licenses however it does not have the fancy button that you will see on the enterprise license. (please see the attachments).

We acknowledge that there is a room for improvement especially on documentation and we also apologize for any confusion.

Microsoft listens to all feedback and we use it reinforce your positive experiences and act on suggested improvements.

Can you share where the feature is hidden?

as written above...

Open the drop-down where it says require registration and chose everyone (for a public webinar).
After that, you should see a text link to view registration form you need to schedule a date and time again. (The reason for that is, that you actually can start the meeting before the webinar (itself and you let guests in, for example, to test anything, make last preparations or discuss anything with your speakers).
You have to hit save at the registration form once before the link to the registration page itself will work. And you have to save the actual meeting too before the webinar is set up and the registration page becomes functional. If you do not see the require registration at the top (next to the time zone picker) your tenant might not have received the webinar feature yet.
Confirmed, it works.

Excellent - then have fun with your Webinars! Many thanks for letting me know!

@Sensorgrafie So, can go to register after a 'new meeting' is created, but I am unable to select 'everyone'. Under the Global Policies, I change the setting from 'in org' to 'everyone' but it didn't seem to change the option. Am I missing something? 

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 2.27.58 PM.png

Hello @jkelley01

usually the 

Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -WhoCanRegister Everyone

is what is required to make guests able to register and it may take a short time until it is provisioned.

You can read the full details of settings you need to take here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/set-up-webinars

Mainly the steps involve:

• AllowMeetingRegistration
  • WhoCanRegister
  • AllowPrivateMeetingScheduling

to check your settings you can run

Get-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy

Thank you. What it sounds like is I need the poweshell to enable the full feature of MSFT webinar. Would that be correct?

Hey @jkelley01

Exactly, only going to the Teams Admin Center was (at least when I did my setup) not enough. But again you can check your settings with the command "Get-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy" to verify if all setup is done and as required. Unfortunately, Microsoft is consolidating Skype for Business (old Lync) settings and Teams/Call settings. So there is a change in progress and you need to check the current requirement/settings. But for now, all that I provided should still work and lead to success. It includes recording and reporting.

Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -AllowCloudRecording $true
Set-CsTeamsCallingPolicy -allowCloudRecordingForCalls $true

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sensorgrafie (Brass Contributor)
Solution
To have the Webinar Feature available you need to run a few PS commands:

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/set-up-webinars and
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-powershell-install (to enable the PS to connect)

It may take up to 24 hours until all of the PS commands have been implemented and do take effect. However, you will not have any button that says "Webinar" with a business plan, instead please try to create a webinar like this:

I do have webinars received, at my tenant (region of my tenant is Germany), I have different licenses assigned to my users.

At the E3 plan, there is a drop-down that clearly shows "Webinar" to start the settings for an MS Teams Webinar. (So I know my tenant is up to date on this).
But users with a Business Standard or Premium plan do not have that drop-down next to new meeting.

So I wonder if the way to set up an MS Teams Webinar is simply different with a Business plan vs. E3 - just as I described above.

My assumption is, you can turn a "regular" meeting by enabling a registration page into a Webinar. At least it looks like this because while I was testing with the Business plan user (even with Business Basic!) that worked and I was able to set up a webinar. This is unconfirmed by Microsoft so far and there is no documentation. All documentation that I found show that next to scheduling a Webinar there is always a Live Event feature option, this, however, is only available in enterprise licenses as the E3 plan.

View solution in original post