SOLVED

Teams Webinar: Couldn't update your registration requirement error message

Brass Contributor

Looks like the new webinar feature of Teams has lit up in our tenant as our users are seeing it in their Teams client, but anytime someone tries to create a new webinar, we get the error "Couldn't update your registration requirement. Try again." This pops up as soon as you click New>Webinar. Anyone else seeing this or know how to resolve?

7 Replies
Hi Greg! We are seeing the exact same issue on our tenant too. Have you managed to identify the problem?
Not yet. We opened up a support ticket this morning. Will keep you posted once we know something.
best response confirmed by GregL (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi Greg. I beleive I have found the issue. Do you the ability to create personal MS Lists disabled on your tenant?

My test tenant didnt have it disabled and Webinar/Registration worked. When I disabled that feature Webinar/Registration stopped working.

Info here showing you how to enable / disable:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/control-lists
Nice find! This does seem to be the cause of the issue. We do have personal MS Lists disabled in our tenant. I just temporarily enabled it and that resolved the issue. I created a test webinar and then went over to MS Lists and saw that it created an "event list" with a cryptic name. Wish that name matched the title of the webinar. I could see users not knowing what that list is and deleting it, which breaks the registration. Thanks for sharing the resolution!

@GregL @benhusondev Hey, just adding the "Set up webinars" article for any future reference when searching for the above issue. The Lists prerequisites is mentioned here as well.

Set up for webinars in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Hi Christian. I think MS need to update that page to specify that 'Personal Lists' need to be enabled specifically dont they!
”Additionally, Microsoft Lists needs to be set up in SharePoint. To learn more, see Control settings for Microsoft Lists.” Not sufficient?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GregL (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi Greg. I beleive I have found the issue. Do you the ability to create personal MS Lists disabled on your tenant?

My test tenant didnt have it disabled and Webinar/Registration worked. When I disabled that feature Webinar/Registration stopped working.

Info here showing you how to enable / disable:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/control-lists

View solution in original post