Teams wants to use local account

Copper Contributor

We have had Microsoft 365 for a while now, but have mainly just used the Server CALs and Office 365 part of it until now, none of the cloud services. We didn't have Teams activated, but at some point last year, it started to appear automatically on users PCs, even though the install configuration said no Teams. This was then blocked by a rule in our AV software.

The users are logged on to their PCs using their local domain account and the Office is logged on to their Microsoft 365 account.

We are now slowing widening our horizons and have started to roll out Teams to our users. Some who had Teams automatically installed are having problems logging on. Instead of suggesting their Microsoft 365 account, it suggests their local e-mail address. If we overwrite the local address and type in the Microsoft 365 account a screen appears asking if we want to send an authorization code to the local account!

If we close that prompt (X), it reappears. Close it a second time and the user can enter their Microsoft 365 account and password.

Close Teams and start it again, it goes through the same process every time, suggests the local account gets a code, close, local account get code, close, logged in with Microsoft 365 account.

I've tried closing the app and I've tried logging off and closing the app, nothing works, it always wants to send an activation code to the non-Teams email account (which is at .local, so can't receive an external email anyway).

Why is it trying to log on using a .local account and how do I

1 Reply

@wright-isI had this issue earlier today. if you google the error code you would see a federation permission issue. I don't have federation setup in this environment. What I did to fix this issue thou.

Log in the your o365 admin panel go to > settings > org settings > Modern Authentication and disable this.